Review of Beyond the Higher Ground

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Choi Shinee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choi-shinee.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Beyond the Higher Ground

Post by Choi Shinee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beyond the Higher Ground" by Thomas A. Brigger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger is a story about a man’s life named Tucker Manson. It started when he discovered that his wife had a car accident that immediately turned him into a widow. To deal with the grief, he decided to move to Wells Country, Virginia, to work as a project manager, assisting Casey in a construction project in Bright’s Mountain. He rented a house on Bright’s Mountain to be closer to work. However, from the first day he arrived, strange things started to happen to him in that house.

The book uses a third-person point of view, following Tucker’s life in the mountain. I really like books of mystery that are filled with suspense like this book. From the beginning, the book has successfully caught my attention with Tucker Manson’s story. It seems like Thomas A. Brigger uses tension in his work to captivate his audience. The characters are varied and well-developed. The description is excellent and vivid in every scene that made me cover myself under a blanket. It also helps me to imagine what the setting looks like since I don’t live in a mountain, nor do I visit it often. Besides, the dialogs also depict the character’s feelings in the story. All of these combinations make this book a perfect read for everyone who likes mystery and suspense stories about demons and monsters.

I don’t find anything that I dislike about this book. In my opinion, the story is compelling with the right amount of suspense to make readers shiver. The plot is also captivating. It feels real that I feel haunted by the book every time I stop reading.

As a result, I give Beyond the Higher Ground a four out of four stars rating. From the description I mentioned above, I don’t have any reasons to rate this book lower. Moreover, this book is well-written and well-edited because I didn’t find any punctuation or grammatical errors.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy stories about historical fiction, suspense, and mysteries. However, I think I need to warn young readers who want to read this book. Even though there was no sex in the story, there were a few profanities. Nonetheless, the message is very powerful: regarding drug abuse. I adored the author’s technique of telling the message through a suspense story that captivates readers’ attention from the start.

Beyond the Higher Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”