Review of Kweewa Tepeki

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Kweewa Tepeki

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kweewa Tepeki" by Donald K Harris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kweewa Tepeki: Shawnee Moon Woman by Donald K. Harris is a Historical adventure story set in the Old Native America period, about the exploits of a great Shawnee Chieftain named Kweewa Tepeki. The book explores the theme of War, Family, Loyalty, and Love.

Mikateewa, a tiny Piqua Shawnee village, had its warriors led by their Chieftain, Wyneewa, to stop a group of renegades who steal food and ambush small defenseless villages. A scuffle occurs, and Wyneewa is killed. Her right-hand woman, Nepi, leads the victory against the renegades that day. Based on that, she became the next chieftain after due observance by the elders of Mikateewa. Her name is changed by right of tradition, and she goes by the adult name, Kweewa Tepeki. She reigns supreme, and her fame spreads throughout the lands. A double victim of death's unforgivable sting, she doesn't give up on love and finds it again in the warm heart of a Shawnee man. Together, they strengthen and prosper Mikateewa and its neighboring villages, gain vast knowledge in the field and trade, adopt an orphaned infant and repeatedly bring victory to the Shawnees. However, war and death always lurk around the corner. Will Kweewa Tepeki escape again?

Donald Harris writes from an Omniscient perspective and a skilled style that heightens the suspense and keeps the reader turning the pages in vast anticipation. I observed enormous character development in Kweewa Tepeki and among the elders of Mikateewa, who became more condoning to developments they earlier regarded as taboo, though with a great deal of reluctance.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly. The village of Mikateewa is quite intriguing. The gender role setting was quite different from what we practice these days. I love the portrayal of a strong female lead character, the epic challenges, and the success. The Shawnee women were an integral part of their society and seemed to have more authority over their men. I love the exposure I got from this book about the Native American setting. It was very informative, exciting, and precise.

I remember a scene where Kweewa Tepeki was agonizing about how long it took her horse to deliver its foal, and I wondered why she couldn't google it until I remembered the period setting. It must have been quite challenging operating without technology at your fingertips. My favorite character was Okawa. He was the only man I encountered in the story who wasn't pushed around and stated his opinions without bias. I loved that about him. This is an excellent book. Therefore, I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars because of the above positive points. Also, the book was well edited, as I noticed only a few grammatical errors.

There's nothing I dislike about this book, apart from an abrupt ending, in my opinion. This book contains some errors which did not disrupt the flow of the story. I recommend this book to historical adventure, action, and war lovers.

Kweewa Tepeki
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Historical Fiction”