Review of Searching For Paradise

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clarissa Sch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clarissa-sch.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Review of Searching For Paradise

Post by Clarissa Sch »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Searching for Paradise is T.L. Hughes's illustrative novel that tells a journey about the life of Mike, a twenty-six-year-old man who is yearning for a better life after a break-up. The story began when Mike could not pursue his showbiz ambitions in California and was forced to work unpaid movie production and other part-time jobs. Therefore, Mike and two friends, Decky and Luke, decided to drive across America to the East Coast before flying to London to work in the music video industry. They carry out the plan using money from their savings and loans. Along the way, they make stops at family and friends’ homes and get a chance to meet a lot of interesting people. As they travel across America, these three people reflect on their lives and discover a newfound appreciation for the events in their lives that have brought them to that point.

There are many aspects of this novel that I enjoy. First and foremost, the writing style of the book was captivating. Second, both the main and side characters are well-developed and endearing. Third, each scene and event was described in great detail. It aids the reader in conjuring up vivid mental images and experiencing what the characters go through. For example, when the author mentions songs that seem nostalgic for Mike, I felt like the song was played in my head, giving me the nostalgic vibe.

However, I'd like to remind everyone that this novel has repetitive stories that could make some readers bored. Nonetheless, in my opinion, repetition was essential because we sometimes encounter the same event more than once in our lives. As a result, it becomes one of the aspects of the novel that I enjoy because it makes the story in this novel more realistic.

I couldn't think of anything negative to say about this book. The narration, which clearly describes Mike's mind, feels genuine and makes us think of a child going through a quarter-life crisis. Furthermore, I found no errors in the text, indicating that it was professionally edited. Therefore, I'd like to give Searching for Paradise a four out of four stars rating.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. Because the description of the setting is very vivid, even if you live outside America, you can still feel the 80s vibe from the song references and the places they visit. This novel will transport you to a trip across America in the past.

Searching For Paradise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”