Review of Beneath the Veil of Smoke and Ash

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Beneath the Veil of Smoke and Ash

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beneath the Veil of Smoke and Ash" by Tammy Pasterick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let's just say I got myself a new favorite author. If you're like me and think historical fiction is not that much fun, wait till you read Tammy Pasterick's book, Beneath the Veil of Smoke and Ash.

The book was set in the early 1900s and captured the struggles immigrants had on arriving in America. They had dreams of a better future but were often met with poverty and unfavorable conditions. Such were the circumstances the Kovacs found themselves in, along with many other families. They tried their best to rise above the conditions, but it seemed their efforts were futile. This drove Karina Kovac to desperate measures while her husband, Jonas, sought a solution. It was no easier having children for whom they had to cater. In their quest for a better future, life took them down a path of events that permanently scarred them.

This book is an excellent combination of America's history and a thrilling romance/adventure story. The characters are well crafted, and the events are mapped out by what I can only describe as excellent writing. This book reveals more about mining, and I have a new respect for all those who risked their lives to eke out a living from it. Society is an integral part of our lives and affects individuals more than we know. The author successfully portrays this in this book. The dangers of postnatal depression and the problems of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in women are also exposed. The author expertly does this through the lives of the characters.

I liked that each chapter focused on a particular character. That way, I could see the events play out from each character's perspective. Additionally, the date and location of events helped connect the dots historically and chronologically.

I couldn't find anything I didn't like. The story was so well told that I had to keep reminding myself it was fiction. I could relate so well to the characters and the situations in which they found themselves. I loved the author's note at the end, where she talked more about Karina's and Edith's predicaments. I also loved the idea of the questions and discussions, prompting the reader to brainstorm and come up with possible different scenarios and conclusions. The editing was also exceptionally done. I’d, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to lovers of historical fiction, adventure, and romance. The book has a good measure of suspense that will keep you riveted to the very end.

Beneath the Veil of Smoke and Ash
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

Every point you mentioned about this book makes me want to read it this instant! I'm really interested in characters' backgrounds as the last name sounds familiar and like it's from my area. I could sense your excitement about the book in the review and now I'm infected! :D
Thank you for an amazing review!
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

The title of this book alone is attractive enough. It makes me eager to know what the author has in mind for his readers. Amazing!
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

This sounds like such a great story. I love reading historical fiction, especially when authors change up the point of view and introduce the thoughts and actions of several characters, not just the protagonist. This book seems to really complement what we learn about the American Dream and immigrant experience of the 20th century. This might be my next reading pick for the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks for the insightful review!
Sheila Gehlmann
Currently Reading: Chasing Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-gehlmann.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sheila Gehlmann »

I love the genres of historical fiction and historical nonfiction. Your enthusiasm for this book showed in the review, and it sounds like a book I would like to read. Thank you!
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I always like a good historical fiction book if it's written in the right format. I think this one is a must read for me. Thanks for the amazing review.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I really enjoy historical fiction and more so when an author organizes the narrative according to year and place of occasion. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”