Review of Divine's Choice

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Divine's Choice

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Divine's Choice" by Alastair Carthew.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Divine's Choice by Alastair Carthew, Queen Liliana was the type of queen that did not care about the royal rules of conduct. She had ascended the throne by sheer will and the carelessness of the Windsor dynasty. Her daughter, Princess Divine, whose birth was an utmost disappointment to her father, King Filip, turned out much like her mother.

Years later, amidst battling with "Commexit" propaganda of member nations who sought to exit the Commonwealth, Queen Liliana arranged the most politically strategic marriage for Princess Divine. Before the princess's birth, she and her lady-in-waiting, Baroness Harrison Ship-Wright, had hatched the perfect royal marriage, and she just had to enforce it. What she could not have counted on was fate's interference with her plans.

One of the first things that readers might observe in this book would be the peculiar language of the characters. There was such freedom in the characters' manner of speech. This gave the impression that these characters knew who they were and took pleasure in being themselves.

The book was not devoid of suspense. A sufficient air of intrigue was created by a narrator that only doled out tidbits of information per time. Also, with feisty and unpredictable characters, readers could never be sure what they would do next. The effect of this was an added sense of excitement and anticipation.

Alastair's book was filled with humor. I wouldn't be sure whether his brand of crude humor would appeal to all readers, but there were many laughing moments in the book. From the author's hilarious description of Queen Liliana's mischievousness to the odd communication pattern the characters had with God, there was always something to laugh about. Take, for instance, Queen Liliana's prayer before her baby was delivered: "Dear Lord, I say unto thee. Help! You often seem to favour the Pope's lot because he has more people. How about giving us Anglicans...a break."

I found Princess Divine's character endearing, especially how she took up movie characters in her fantasies. I found this character to be reminiscent of a little girl's whimsical spirit. With movies like Casablanca, Fifty Shades of Grey, and The Notebook as her culpable victims, the author not only revealed an adventurous spirit but also exposed the relational beauty of movies.

I loved that Alastair was able to do so many things with this book. He exposed readers to the rosy ways of royalty and the burden that came with it. He told readers stories with historical relevance, hinting at sectional religious beef, status distinction, and the incursion of American culture into other countries. Yet, this book was about finding love, losing love, fate, passion, transformation, and second chances.

I'd recommend this book to lovers of history and epic love stories. There was nothing to dislike, and the editing was exceptional. Therefore, I'd rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Divine's Choice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

This was a great review following an even greater book! The author had a very twisted and silly sense of humor that helped you envision the royalties as humans too. Alastair did a great job portraying the plots royalties lay to stay in power and the use of English was so broad and classic. This is a really good book for people who enjoy suspenseful comedy and have the stomach for a bit of maliciousness.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Seems like quite an interesting and the reviewer has tried his best to give us a good overview of it. Thanks for the review.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

I like the Queen's charisma and it being passed down to the princess is fantastic. Thanks for the review. This book sounds nice.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think the book where one of the characters has a charismatic personality, which is even being passed down to another generation was rare. Thanks
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I've not come across a historical book that's about royalty yet but I'm glad I came across this review. Thank you.
Fransisca Ekezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fransisca-ekezie.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Fransisca Ekezie »

Historical fiction books are one I always ignore but this book is one I could give a try cause I really like the charisma and the freedom of speech shown by the characters, thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”