Review of Leaving Dahomey

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jassson68
Favorite Book: Snow Country Lane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jassson68.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Leaving Dahomey

Post by jassson68 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Leaving Dahomey" by Jude Shaw.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leaving Dahomey is a book written by Jude Shaw. The story is about Adeoha and Dahomey's way of life. King Guezo carried harmony to Dahomey in the wake of walking with great warriors to battle the Attahpahm people. Adeoha was highborn and daughter of Tubutu and Lamtaala, and sister to Oshun from the village of Atogon. Her life was filled with good fortune during the harmony. She was very close to Sewextu, who was like a sister to her. While Sewextu was associated with storytelling and verse, Adeoha was involved in dancing in the language drum society, and trading. Individuals in Dahomey were extremely dedicated. They practice cultivation and carried on with a happy life even though they had little. Nonetheless, much of Dahomey's income was from the selling of slaves across the oceans. After Adeoha had started the commencement into the language drum society, her father told her a secret. Adeoha listened as Tubutu discussed his grandfather’s adventures, Oyewo's story, and how Nubueke and his men tracked down Buktu, which was a place known for its riches and opportunities. After the conclusion of Adeoha inception, she went through various stages. The new initiates were led to dance enclosure by an elderly priestess and five graduate priestesses. Mama Ezogbo directed the new initiates as they were about to perform the ritual patterns of the dance of commemoration. Meanwhile, Robert and Patricia were brought to Dahomey by Mautusan, who deserted the land many years ago. They arrived when Adeoha was a child, and they became close to her. However, after Adeoha acquired prevalence, the ruler considered Tubutu to be a threat in light of the tales he heard. Tubutu had to send his daughter away from Dahomey to secure his family’s safety. She left with Robert, Patricia, and Mautusan to another land without turning back.

The book discusses Dahomey's culture and lifestyle. The author wrote a fascinating anecdote about Dahomey's custom and Adeoha’s father history. Tubutu, who was the father of Adeoha, shared his childhood story with his daughter. The book depicts the historical backdrop of Tubutu’s grandfather faction and the narrative of Oyewo. It likewise discusses the experiences of Adeoha progenitors and their practices, and how they lived in the terrains of the black. Patricia, Robert and Mautusan played a part in this book. Patricia and Robert were from America, and they were married. They were very close to Mautusan and Adeoha. Adeoha learned from Patricia, while she taught Patricia about Dahomey’s tradition. Mautusan was from Dahomey, and he additionally shared his own story in the book.

On the positive side, the story was extremely interesting and brimming with secrets and anticipation. I love the manner in which the author expounded on Adeoha dance move, which was an Africa dance that associates with the beat of the youthful drummer and the oracle. Her dance translations were captivating. Additionally, I love the story that was shared by Tubutu, Oyewo, and Mautusan. It gave me an understanding in regard to the Dahomey societies and how their predecessors lived. I like the secrets behind this accounts and I was kept in suspense all through the book. There was no dull moment while reading the book. I was consistently restless to realize what might occur next.

There was no negative side while I was reading the book. It was a fascinating story, and I could comprehend the story plainly. The characters were well connected and the sentences were well organized.

I would give this novel 4 out of 4 stars in light of the fact that I was truly delighted while reading the whole story.

I would recommend this novel to both old and youngsters. This book would suit individuals who love historic books and mysteries.

Leaving Dahomey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”