Review of Mirrored Sword Part One

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Review of Mirrored Sword Part One

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mirrored Sword Part One" by Allan Hands.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mirrored Sword Part One by Allan Hands is a historical fiction that tells the story of rebellion in England and the roles of different characters in promoting or fighting the rebels.

Susanna Mandeville, a beautiful spinster and daughter of a merchant, takes no concerns in any other activities but her paintings. This was to the chagrin of her father and maid, Matilda. They desperately want her married to any respectable man. Her crude behavior to men, sharp tongue, and bad use of the fists drove her father to banish her for the fourth time to Bourne. In Bourne, she met two significant men. One of the men was a terror from her past. The other man, Tom Roussell, was a man she would never forget. Both were rebels in the Grimsthorpe Castle, led by Lord Welles and his son, Sir Robert Welles. An invitation from King Edward to dance in Baynard Castle sets Susanna and her entourage on their way to Southwark amidst the hostile rebellion. The journey becomes eventful when their leader, Sir Malory, turns doom. Will Susanna finally gets her dream royal dance? The rebels seem to always be a step ahead in their plotting against the King of England. How long could the rebels be held away, or is there a slight chance to make peace?

Reading this book felt like reading about the lives of some of the characters. The most interesting character for me was Tom Roussell. He was portrayed in a manner that leaves the reader in doubt about his true personality. John Farthings' story was the most pitiful of all. It was really heart-rending to see a father go through so many difficulties because of his untamed daughter. With Susanna's story, the reader is left with a desire to give her proper schooling or even some thrashing. Susanna's lack of love for men is absurd at first, given her beauty and charm. But the author allowed the reader to discover what influenced her decision eventually.

Matilda is another character I enjoyed reading about. She was used to representing the theme of love. Unfortunately, in her previous marriages, it seemed understandable when she chose to fight for her love for the blacksmith. It was quite painful to read how that love story turned out. The last chapter is the most intriguing for me, leaving the reader in awe of how the hidden agendas and truths were revealed.

I did not find anything negative about this book. The author had an interesting way of blending all the themes in this book, so much that each was represented even at the end of the book.

I found only a few errors in this book. Consequently, the book was professionally edited, and I commend the author for a thorough job. Due to this, my rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars.

This book tells the story of ancient history and rebellion in England. There is also a hint of romance and love. Readers who find interest in these themes will enjoy this read. Young readers should be protected from the vices in this book.

Mirrored Sword Part One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Johnson Oriakhi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Johnson Oriakhi »

True, the book is nice, but I'm not really a fan of romance and all, so out of 5 stars I'll be giving it a 4.
Jennifer C 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Jennifer C 14 »

The book of Mirrored Sword is very interesting story of ancient history and rebellion of England.
Bri readcat
Currently Reading: The Girl with the Dragon Heart
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bri readcat »

I love a good rebellion story. With a dose of mystery and unknown ending seem to catch my interest. This review was so detailed while not spoiling the book for other interested readers and only advertise the best parts of the novel. Will read and give a review of my own soon.
shannon brown 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shannon brown 1 »

i love how the writer makes it interesting, the fact she has met two men, one she hates n the other she cant forget. i love what am reading so far oh yea and i love she is a painter
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This book seems sooo good! I would love to read it.
Thank you for the great review :D
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

This novel seems interesting and am looking forward to reading it. I love a rebellious woman and combined with some romance, this novel seems like a winner. This was an excellent review that was very informative.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

This seems like quite an interesting story, and as it's from England I'm more intrigued to read it now. You've explained the plot very nicely in the review. Thank-you.
Zelda Boshoff
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelda-boshoff.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelda Boshoff »

I feel sympathy for the father with an untamed daughter in England, it's a must-read. The reviewer did a great job, so much detail.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

I love historical fiction and romantic stories. This looks like a book I would enjoy.
Lima Gum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lima Gum »

I think you are very right and the daughter should have did that and I have sympathy for the father
Lima Gum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lima Gum »

I love how the story starts off and I love romance book and it seems really interesting how the Dad ghost to England and it’s a must read it is really interesting for the people that love romance and I definitely recommend on reading it
Christine Onyango 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-onyango-1.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Christine Onyango 1 »

The story sounds interesting, historical fiction with a mix of romance. The beautiful spinster, Susanna Mandeville, sounds like quite the character. Being rebellious and not wanting to get married was unheard of during those times in England ( and everywhere else, I presume) and this was a source of sadness for her father. The review is very detailed, but not letting on. Thank you for the awesome review.
Shireen Ubaid
Favorite Book: Crescendo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireen-ubaid.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shireen Ubaid »

I would love to read stories based in England as well as with a not so stereotypical woman protagonist with her defying nature. I would love to know more about Victoria so I would definitely read this book. Thank you for the great review.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

The title itself is different and unique. Historical fiction with love, this genre is new to me , mostly I red adventourous fiction . The story sounds interesting. I would love to try this new genre. Thank you for your review
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Historical Fiction”