Review of Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Review of Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth

Post by Peace Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth" by Adrian Del Valle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth by Adrian Del Valle is one of its kind. The book talks about some researchers that made a huge discovery of their lifetime. They began to tell a story surrounding their discovery and how it came to be. Adrain pictured typical village settings, how they conquered each other at various times, and who later got defeated at last to rule the survivors. The book also tells the story of two lovers who met by chance and what many calls fate. They bonded against all odds and stayed together. The book brings to life how persistence and courage can work in one's favor and what people can become when united or working against another.

One of the things I liked was the traditional feeling that comes with the book. This is rare in most books today. The use of chants, incantations, and even their native language helped to boost the traditional feeling the book created. What I liked most was the use of native names in the book. Though they can be very difficult to pronounce and spell, the knowledge is a good one. Most of the native names were also interpreted in English, which is also an added advantage.

What I didn't like about the book was how the story did not flow consistently—reading it line to line, you'll find so many disjunctive spots that you have to go back and read again to understand. At some point, the book drifted from the story and kept describing the environment. This is good, but too much of it can make one lose track and interest in the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because it was still well edited. There were a few grammatical errors found in the book. However, I think more work should be done in this book to give it a better outlook, though still embedding its uniqueness. The names in the book were quite difficult to pronounce, but I think it posed no issue since they reflected the genre of the book.

I recommend this book to those who love historical fiction. You'll enjoy the thrill of all the book brings. For persons who are also culturally inclined and love learning about it, this book is also for you. If you're not into history and ancient stories, this book is not for you.

Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A book about researchers that made huge discoveries in their time. Great review!
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

i hate stories that go too deep into descriptions or give you too many details about unnecessary events, great review, interesting book
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Cultural encounters and historical breakthroughs, can be likened to a exploratory mission...nice one
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

A perfect rating means that this would be an awesome read for me. Thank you for the recommendation.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

Seems to be an interesting story, but the negatives mentioned get me a bit worried. I also love romance stories so I will give it a try.
Nyaudo_Press
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyaudo-press.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by Nyaudo_Press »

This maximum ating reveals a great book; I will read it. I would recommend it to other readers too.
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

A book with a traditional feeling piques my interest. Thank you for this awesome review.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

I like books on historical fiction. It will be worth reading as it contains researches and discovery. Congratulations on BOTD.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love this genre but I think this is too far back. I will give this a try though. Thanks for your review.
Prince Ekeoma
Currently Reading: The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Prince Ekeoma »

"Hunters of the Columbian Mammoth" by Adrian Del Valle. A very interesting book, talks about discoveries, fate, and love. A well written book with their local names written on it. Adrian did good in talking about researchers and their impact. Congrats on #BOTD.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I enjoy reading books about the early populace. I find their traditions and culture intriguing. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a detailed narrative that follows the leader of the Bandu tribe on his journey of exploration and discovery. Readers of historical fiction and those who enjoy stories about courage, culture, love, and adventure will want to give this one a try. Thank you for the very helpful review! Great work!! :-)
KatM_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katm.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by KatM_ »

This looks like an interesting book. There are cultural breakthroughs and a great rating shows that it is a nice book indeed. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”