Review of Back Home Again

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Back Home Again

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Back Home Again" by DL Larson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Back Home Again: Douglas Family Saga, Book 5 by DL Larson recounts the story of the Douglas and Frailey families. Francis Frailey is still recovering from the death of his first wife, Christine, while trying to keep his new wife, Mary, away from his demons. On the other hand, Granny Elizabeth battles with her secrets which she shares with Hattie, the young orphan girl in her charge. Joe Douglas is also not without his secrets. As the secrets come to light, the question remains whether they will strengthen the families' bond or destroy them.

Larson's story is a heartwarming one that many readers will indeed find endearing. The story is emotion-packed with several scenes that will make readers cry, laugh, and feel frustration and helplessness just as the characters feel them. While reading this book, readers may lose count of many giggling moments. This book can brighten a reader's day and leave them with a giddy sense of joy.

Readers of this book will love its characters. The characters are authentic, and this makes them appear very typical. There are no pretenses with the characters. This 'realness' seeps into the entire story, making it unique. This typicality can be seen from the character of Jim Frailey and his reluctant acceptance of his stepmother, Mary. The stubborn exuberance of the teenage character of Ruf Douglas is also a relatable trait expected of such a character.

Larson's spicy rendering of teenage love will lead the reader down the memory lane of their first romantic experience. The reader will not only be regaled with the rosy versions of what they desire love to be but also the many intricacies of love: sadness, pain, and even loss. The author shows readers the enduring power of love and the immense support system that family can provide. Back Home Again: Douglas Family Saga, Book 5 may be a reality check for readers who need to learn to appreciate their loved ones and what they stand for in their lives.

Larson gives us a hint of history with her mentions of the Indian War of 1812 and slavery. This historical flavor, which has its background from the first book of the series, Memories Trail, reiterates the struggles for freedom and the consequences of slavery. From Granny Elizabeth's thoughts, readers learn that the business of wielding power over others always leads to heartbreak. This is true because it is human nature to crave freedom, and any restrictions to that freedom, though it subsists for a while, will be resisted eventually.

The book also delves into a socially pertinent issue. Larson brings to life the horrors of child abuse and its resonating effect on those in contact with the victims. In essence, it is safe to say from the story that the author implies that we are all victims of child molestation. Hence, the place of mental health in human existence can never be overemphasized, and society must protect vulnerable ones from any form of abuse. The book raises awareness for its readers to be sensitive to the tell-tale signs of abuse.

Back Home Again: Douglas Family Saga, Book 5 is a fantastic story that will persuade the reader to read every single word. I recommend this book to all lovers of good old family stories. With only two errors, there's hardly anything to dislike about this narrative. Therefore, I rate it four out of four stars.

Back Home Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

A much appreciated review, the strength of family bonds, as well as the complexities of their respective lives...nice review
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

This looks very interesting. It's also one of my favourite genres so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

This review got my attention. I love a good book to read and this sounds like it would not disappoint. I am excited to get this book and begin reading. Great review!
Famooosha1
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Famooosha1 »

Naturally I'm an empathetic fella. Since the story is emotion-packed with several scenes that will make readers cry, laugh, and feel frustration and helplessness just as the characters feel them, I know I'm in for a real ride.

I can't appreciate the review team enough for blending historical flavor into the book with struggles for freedom and the consequences of slavery.
I don't think I need to hesitate in adding this book to my shelf.
Onangole Nathan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onangole-nathan.html
Latest Review: The Lost Years of Billy Battles by Ronald E. Yates

Post by Onangole Nathan »

The book is written to take the audience through different emotions, this is my type of book. Definitely adding this to my shelf, appreciate the review.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

This review looks great. Especially when there are part of the family complex circumstances and using the bond strength to solve it.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

Family stories are absolutely the best. It is so sad to see individuals in a family battling issues and keeping secrets when they have each other. Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”