Review of Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rahul pippal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-pippal.html
Latest Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort by Brian Kaufman

Review of Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

Post by Rahul pippal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dread Tribunal of Last Resort" by Brian Kaufman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brian Kaufman is the author of the book, Dead Tribunal of Last Resort. This is a fantastic work of historical fiction that covers a wide range of issues, including slavery, racism, love, and war. This book follows the narrative of Decker Brown, who arrives in Boston after completing a two-year apprenticeship. Under the tutelage of his uncle Oskar, he learned about rocketry. He returned to Richmond to marry his long-time love for Paul Crane, and to start a new Illumination business with his father, but the oncoming American Civil War will put their love to the test since they hold opposing views on slavery.

This novel depicts the brutality and realism of war. Because the author has detailed the intricacies of the many actions of war, such as stacks of dead bodies on the battlefield, bullets leaving a hole in the skull, and the hardships of the soldiers fighting the enemy, I could build mental pictures. The author could explain the main character’s feelings and how difficult it was for him to make judgments that went against his goals when he arrived in Richmond.

The author has convincingly depicted the story from the perspectives of both the Union and Confederate troops, emphasizing their conflicting ideas about slavery and racism. The best aspect of this narrative is that I did not know about the plot. That’s why I couldn’t wait to read the following chapter after the previous one. The author has done an outstanding job describing the psychological state and cognitive processes of characters, not only the main characters but also supporting characters such as Dori, Henry Lee, and Whitaker Hill, among others. The story shows how war affects everyone, not just soldiers on the front lines, but also women and children. The worst consequences of the conflict were not only the deaths but also a lack of food, as well as emotional and psychological harm to survivors and residents in the afflicted region.

I admire Decker, who stood for what he believed in and that he believed in his father’s advice that “the pursuit of happiness” meant three things: work to do, something to hope for, and someone to love. I wished the story had a different ending, but life doesn’t always go as planned, and this story represents that. I liked how the author put interesting quotes at the beginning of each chapter, such as “I had reasoned this out in my mind; there was one of two things I had a right to; liberty, or death; if I couldn’t have one, I would have the other” by Harriet Tubman.

Although there were a few grammatical errors in this work, I believe it was professionally edited. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book covers a wide range of issues, such as love, war, slavery, and racism. I recommend this book to mature readers who enjoy historical fiction since it contains violence, and the author does an excellent job of explaining the conflict so that one can easily construct a mental image of what is happening.

Dread Tribunal of Last Resort
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”