Review of La Macha

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Review of La Macha

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "La Macha" by Carlos Alvarado.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born during a time where women couldn’t vote, Bertelina has lived a life full of many challenges. As a young girl, Bertelina knew that she wanted to have a job when she grew older. Unfortunately, due to the time she was living in, it was not normal for women to have jobs that were dominated by men. La Macha by Carlos Alvarado takes readers on a journey through Bertelina’s life. We get to see her go from a child to an adult.

Alvarado has written this book beautifully. Even though the book is considered to be historical fiction, I felt like I was reading a memoir. I like that Alvarado described Bertelina’s life events in great detail. This really helped me to understand her story.

I found Bertelina very inspirational. Life wasn’t easy for Bertelina. She went through multiple heartbreaks, a divorce, and even abuse. In my opinion, she’s a great example of someone who doesn’t give up on their dreams. Even when she failed, she kept going. If there’s one thing readers can take from her, it is her determination.

I think Alvarado developed each of the characters really well. Bertelina became a strong, confident, independent woman, that didn’t need a man to feel happiness in life. I also really liked Maria’s character because she reminds me of myself. Maria was always by her mother’s side, no matter what. From a young age, Maria had a lot of responsibilities. Whilst her mother worked tirelessly, she had to look after her siblings. Seeing the amount of support each of the family members gave each other is beautiful.

My favourite part in the book was when Bertelina was celebrating Christmas with her children. Just reading how happy they all were made me smile. Having each other during Christmas is the best present they could receive. There was nothing that I disliked about the book. The book itself is split into 4 parts, so you could read each part on a different day. Alternatively, you could read this in one sitting.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I found no mistakes, so it is exceptionally edited. Since the book mentions abuse, it could be sensitive to some readers. So, read the book at your own risk. I highly recommend this book to adults who are stuck in life and don’t really know how to move forward. This book could provide you with the motivation to keep going towards your goals.

La Macha
View: on Bookshelves
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I can imagine how difficult it would be for Bertelina to make a livelihood at that time. Knowing her experience from afar will be encouraging and motivating. Thanks for a great review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Bertelina sounds like a fascinating character. I love historical fiction and I think reading it from Bertelina's view will make it special. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Shivali Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivali-y.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Shivali Y »

I love the sound of a historical fiction story being written like a memoir, so I'll check this out. Thanks a lot for your review!
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Nothing is more catching than a historical fiction that narrates the former ordeal of women. It helps me see how far the world has grown
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I feel attached to this book already. It's so beautiful when a woman overcomes abuse and is able to smile again. Thanks for a great review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

It was a motivating plot. Even now there are so many Bertalina in the society who did suffer but they too have the courage and determination to overcome like her. It would be encouraging read for the readers. Thank your reviewing .😊
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

The challenges that women have faced for a long time are indescribable. Thanks for an amazing review, definitely going to read this one!

Return to “Historical Fiction”