Review of Rescuing General Patton

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mulondo Yoab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mulondo-yoab.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Japanese Edition) by Peter Liptak

Review of Rescuing General Patton

Post by Mulondo Yoab »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rescuing General Patton" by Curtis Stephen Burdick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If imaginative prowess exhilaratingly intertwined with realism were anything to go by, the wartime secret unearthing thriller from world war two,.Rescuing General Patton. by Stephen Curtis Burdick perfectly blends fiction with the mostly grim, unnerving blues and real exploits of war.

Based in Sicily and Nazi infiltrated Italy, A U.S army general Omar Bradley picks out a dauntless Captain Peter Pizzio to spearhead an assault on a Nazi 'prisoners of war' camp in Italy to rescue one captured General S.Patton passing himself off as Colonel Henry Mueller. Meanwhile German interrogater ,'Oberstumfuhrer' Dietrich Gutner soon realises Colonel Mueller is really a U.S General and could have vital information affecting the outcome of the war, which is the reason the allied forces hastily plan a mission to extract him. This mission planned by General Bradley brings the best out of a 'many a time 'disaster struck group of Captain Pizzio's rangers, always on the edge in a Nazi controlled Italy ,who valiantly face off with the Germans whenever necessary until they achieve success, albeit with many casualties for them. This novel draws the reader to the realization of the true picture of serious army combat and could keep one on the edge of their seat as each escapade is thrilling and leaves one yearning for more.

What I liked most about the novel was the author's ability to weave characters that exude real battle hardened soldiers' qualities plus the chronological order of events the author carves out based on a string of events in 1943 and thereabout which evidences the author's rich research background and love for war memoirs,also the tribute at the end to main characters serves to bring the spirit of the reader to console with affected characters.

What I did not like about the novel was the extensive use of language that is not morally enriching and wouldn't advise one to take it on though that can be excused as it is the natural character of the practitioners as woven by the author, hope you don't mind.

The editing was near perfect with very minimal errors for me to take a star out of its rating.Therefore I rate it .four stars out of four..I highly recommend this book for military enthusiasts and historians plus those with a love for adventure but I will not deign to say it contains graphic accounts of war which may affect people with heart complications adversely, thus I do not recommend it to them.

Rescuing General Patton
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”