Review of The Scar of Cain

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of The Scar of Cain

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Scar of Cain" by Bill W. Sanford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Scar of Cain by Bill W. Sanford follows the biblical story of the first family. It is an artistic rendering of the account of Cain and Abel and the dynamics of the circumstances that led to the first murder that the world experienced.

Benjamin Jasher, known as an antique store owner, recruits a paleographer, Dr. William Bedford. They embark on an adventure to uncover a truth that has been hidden from humanity for ages and expose an ancient enemy that may yet still walk the earth.

This book is a testament to the author's creativity. Sanford takes familiar Bible stories that many people may have read and glossed over casually and stretches them to limits that frankly may be pretty shocking to some and electrifying to others. It will be safe to say that some readers, especially some religious folks, may feel pangs of discomfort with the bold 'assertions' that Sanford makes in the book. This discomfort may be because the author asserts that there may be some missing books from the Bible.

The characters in this book are developed in a way that readers will admire. It is laudable how the author gives life to these characters. Over time, some of these biblical characters have become relics, especially those not included in the Bible. It will be easy for readers to be drawn into the charismatic aura surrounding a character like Benjamin Jasher.

The structure of this book is also unique. Sanford divides his story into titled parts and chapters, with each part beginning from its own chapter one. Essentially, each part comes off as another book. Within these parts, the author moves between two different timelines: the past (as far back as the first family) and the future. The author aids readers' comprehension by providing definitions of certain terms. This speaks volumes of the energy that the author must have invested in research.

This book may arouse curiosity in readers about their origins and deep introspection about the boundaries of religion and history. Amidst the historical narration, this book is indeed a story about love and forgiveness. It is also a story about the compassionate and powerful nature of God.

Reading through this book, I realized that the characters of 'Cain' and 'Jasher' represent the constant battle of good and evil, not just as realities of our society but also of our inner man. Also, our free will is a determinant of our outcomes. After his offering is rejected, God tells Cain, "sin lieth at the door," but allows him to choose whether or not the sin will consume him.

There was nothing I disliked in this book. However, there are enough grammatical errors for me to take out a point from its rating. Therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

This is one of those books that, for a rewarding gratification, demands that readers read with an open mind and spirit. This book is recommended to readers who enjoy historical stories and religious persons who want to delve into deeper research of the Bible. If you love Francine Rivers's books, you may probably love this book.

The Scar of Cain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

The story of Cain and abel is a story am already familiar with, I love biblical books, nice review.
Rakan_M
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rakan_M »

The idea of ​​the book and the author is exciting, beautiful, and unusual. Few of the authors appreciate the historical value and wisdom found in history stories...
The struggle between good and evil will not end, and in that is its ruling, because simply there must be a difference between human beings and their choices between evil and good.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The story of Cain is something I'm familiar with. I would love to read the book so as to get the complete perspective of the writer. Thanks for your review.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I am looking forward to reading this book because there is a part where the characters must choose between evil and good. I think I can learn a lot from this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”