Review of The Curious Spell of Madam Genova

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Curious Spell of Madam Genova

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Curious Spell of Madam Genova" by J.G. Schwartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Curious Spell of Madam Genova by J. G. Schwartz is a book about magic and a pair of watches. Jenny Genova, a clairvoyant, also known as 'Madam Genova,' and her fortune-teller friend, Monique LeClaire, use their unique gift to touch people's lives in very unusual ways. Their clientele includes the high, mighty, and most powerful men and women in the country who trail after them, willing to pay anything for a glimpse of the future or some bit of good luck. Jenny casts a spell that is indeed 'curious,' and this spell drives the book's entire plot.

Schwartz creatively renders this story in a way that fascinates and demands rapt attention. The story gives a historical survey, as it presents prominent men and women in the United States' political arena and highlights some major historical feats of their time. It almost feels like reading a history book but devoid of the tell-tale drag that comes with history books.

It is clear from the book that the characters are the centerpiece of the story. It is probably because of this that Schwartz takes the time at the beginning of the book to list the major characters in the book. This will aid readers in navigating the robust array of characters as they are introduced per chapter. The author's dedication to her characters is further seen in how she describes them, not leaving out the tiniest detail. For example, she describes Madam Genova, the fortune-teller, right down to the way she smells, like a 'bunch of freshly picked flowers.' She also points out the vertical scar on the left ear of Madam Genova's son's best friend, Joshua. All these detailed descriptions come together nicely to create vivid imagery for readers.

Schwartz provides a sort of insider perspective into the glamour of fame and power. She does this with her choice of characters; she picks presidents, actresses, and even crime lords, allowing readers to come to their conclusions about whether the price to be paid for power is worth it or not.

The Curious Spell of Madam Genova dabbles in on some issues that still very much resonates with our present time, more so now than ever. The conversation on racial discrimination leads us to the introspection of what it has metamorphosed into in our time. The author also points out the issues of domestic violence on women and children. I believe the author's incorporation of these issues in her story, as salient as they are presented, might be enough to spark awareness and action in readers. It can also activate the spirit of being 'our brothers keepers,' to join hands and hearts together to fight for the vulnerable among us.

The book is well written and will appeal to various readers, especially fans of supernatural historical fiction. There's no flaw in this book, and the editing is top-notch. Therefore, I rate it four out of four stars.

The Curious Spell of Madam Genova
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

A book filled with spells and intrigue is just the right thing for a relaxed weekend. I am impressed that more authors are including sensitive subjects such as abuse in their books, lending a voice to those that can't speak for themselves. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Thought the book was going to be scary to me but I just got interested. Great review
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

This is me thinking of how people no matter the height attained can pay to see what the future would be like. That's a good review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love to read books that entails magic, thrillers and actions, thanks for the honest review.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This supernatural historical fiction book brings interesting characters, such as Jenny Genova and Monique LeClaire who seem to have mysterious gifts related to magic and spells. Thanks for the review!
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

“Looking into the future” This is what comes to mind when I read the review. It features magic and the power of clairvoyance and the interest of many in this “art” or otherwise. It is a not so secret practice , though many pretend not to either, believe, or practice it. In this story, we are forced to look at what one is able to do to obtain power and wealth. Politicians, the glamorous, crime lords, ordinary people and many more are depicted as they try to understand the future and what it could hold for them. Does this work? A curious magical read. Must be quite interesting. Who wouldn’t be curious about the future even if just for the heck of it.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like a great book for anyone who likes this genre. I love historical fiction, but I don't care for the supernatural element. Your review is great and I am sure there are a lot of fans of this type of novel that will love this one!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I have always been intrigued by fortune-telling, and I like historical fiction. I wonder what era this is in. Thanks for your review.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I'm glad that despite characters being from the past, the plot has some current world issues. The idea being the book is interesting. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. The concept of the magical pocket watches sounds interesting.
Chinecherem A
Currently Reading: Alwyn And June Crawshaw's Outdoor Painting Course
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinecherem-a.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Chinecherem A »

This sounds like a great read. I like that sensitive issues were addressed too. Proper characterization and description is very important and it's good to know that the author incorporated them here
Mathurambiga Maniom
Favorite Book: Shiver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathurambiga-maniom.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mathurambiga Maniom »

This books seems like picturing imaginary world the most, and I expect things would not get a little complicated to understand the story. However, I really love how the author runs the plot to keep entertaining. Thank you for the review, I will look forward to read the book soon!
Zidan Fatah
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zidan Fatah »

I love to read books that entails magic, thrillers and actions, thanks for the honest review.This supernatural historical fiction book brings interesting characters, such as Jenny Genova and Monique LeClaire who seem to have mysterious gifts related to magic and spells.
Gabriella H
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Well, I wonder what Jenny's curious spell entails. Readers who enjoy fortune-telling, magical tales, and historical fiction will probably enjoy this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”