Review of "Surrender"

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of "Surrender"

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Surrender"" by Francis L. Pipolo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surrender by Francis L. Pipolo is a captivating historical fiction. It is set in the 1800s in the small town of Surrender in the territory of Montana. The story is a blend of many things. Majorly it focuses on the concept that human suffering is inevitable. Human life is unpredictable, and death is unexpected. No matter how good or bad a person is, everyone is destined to die eventually.

The chief character of our story is Marshall John Decker. He lives with his wife, Rachel, who is another dominant character in the story. Their son, young John, was killed almost a year ago, and the grief of his death still looms around these characters. The readers will also meet other characters like John’s deputies, the owner of almost everything in the town, several murderers, etc. An alleged murderer ran away, and John’s deputy went after the murderer to catch him. When neither the deputy nor the murderer returns to the town after few weeks, John, with his mates, sets to find the missing men, dead or alive. There is a gripping mystery cum suspense in the story, along with unpredictable and shocking twists. Is the accused murderer innocent or guilty? Will John and his mates find their guys alive? Will John himself will return home safely out of the wild west to his wife?

I must mention that the story contains violence. Several rough scenes will get the readers out of nowhere. One moment I smiled, and at the other, my face grew pale with shock. There are a few brutal murders in the story, depicting pure violence. Grief and loss will be encountered many times in the book by the readers. The author has tried to paint a genuine picture of the world by delivering a message that humans are the worst enemies of each other. He has also managed to present an insight into the human mind.

The best thing about the book is the authenticity with which the author has composed this story. The words will do spell on the readers. Moreover, the storyline is brilliant. The book just completely sucked me into it. There is a man-hunt going on, murderers are on the loose, the real story behind the guilt of an alleged accused is to be unfolded, and all of these things are blended amazingly into a single plot. Honestly, there is nothing to dislike about the book.

There are major typos and errors in the book, and it needs a round of professional editing. There is profanity used in the book, along with violence. The book is just nine chapters long, covering hardly a hundred pages, and can be read in one go.

On the whole, I will gladly rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars read. Just nine chapters have so much in them. There is a bunch of wisdom imparted in the story, which makes it more special. It portrays the truth of both the insides and outsides of humans with complete transparency. I only took a star away because of the lack of professional editing.

As mentioned above, the book has rough and brutal scenes; I will recommend it to a mature audience. Sensitive readers might not want to pick this up. People who like to read about the wild west and cowboys should definitely go for it. The book has some religious references relating to Christianity, especially in the dialogues. So, I suggest the readers pick the book accordingly. I hope you like it as much as I did.

"Surrender"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

*Moderator note: Following this review, all the errors found have been corrected.*
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

This book surely has an interesting theme! Would love to read it! Great review!
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book will surely be an inspiring one to read.
I wonder what will be the faith of John's wife if he doesn't return, having lost her son to the cold hands of death, I doubt if she will survive losing another important personality in life.
Can't wait to devour it!
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I appreciate the concept that the book is based on. I feel the book has the potential to surprise the reader in a variety of ways. I believe I will read this book as soon as possible. Thanks for a lovely review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”