Review of Destiny of Dreams

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Supernatural Professor by George Han

Review of Destiny of Dreams

Post by Chiwelite O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Destiny of Dreams" by Cathy Burnham Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Destiny of Dreams is a non-fiction novel written by Cathy Burnham Martin. It depicts the history of the
author's maternal family. They are Armenians whose ancestors immigrated to the United States of America during the First World War. This was around the time the Ottoman Turks had embarked on genocide to wipe out Armenia from the face of the earth.

This story reflects the history of a
family whose ancestors lived in Van during the Ottoman Empire. The author narrates how her great-great-grandfather, Ohanes, and her great-grandfather Garabed were murdered in cold blood. Also, she narrates how her grand-aunties were raped and murdered. The author reveals how her great-grandmother was able to escape from the Turks with two of her sons. In their bid to escape, they faced unspeakable challenges. This book would mesmerize any reader. I enjoyed it from the very first page to the last. Destiny of Dreams is an excellent read.

This book has many positive aspects. The story is told with very clear and concise language. I did not find any errors in this book. This shows that this book was exceptionally well-edited. The organization of the book is both simple and professional. The book is very engaging and Cathy does well to make excellent use of imagery; for instance, her description of Van. The author tells the story of discrimination, genocide, hope, perseverance, wisdom, survival, and the importance of relationships. These are expressed very well so that the reader easily understands them from the author's point of view.

Another positive aspect I found in this book is that it contains authentic pictures of the places and characters in the book. This makes the story more real, alive and captivating. This story is very informative as it enlightens the audience on the violent experiences of Armenians in the past which have not been fully appreciated by the rest of the world. This book is a source of encouragement for millions of people around the world that are going
through hardship and persecution; for instance, the story of Aghavni and her sons, Hrant and Vahram. They escaped from the horrors of genocide traveling across four countries on foot and by sea, enduring and overcoming horrific circumstances.

Despite how wonderful this book is, I found a flaw. Cathy portrayed members of her family to be perfect people, while this is understandable, it is unrealistic. Notwithstanding this flaw, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I gave it a perfect rating because this book is such a wonderful read. I did not rate it lower because the above-stated flaw can be easily ignored. It did not take away my overall satisfaction from this book.

I recommend this book to Armenians all over the world and to all lovers of non-fiction. Those in need of encouragement and motivation should read this book, it will be of great help.

Destiny of Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nazzy_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nazzy.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Nazzy_ »

Thanks for being optimistic with your review. I would like to read this bit of history.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

A book that gleaned into extensive research to be ideally formulated. Great effort, and this review is captivating. I think I gave this book a pass, but you did a great job!
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Recee Ann »

So much tragedy but the writer still sees the glass half empty. I would love to read this book.. really!
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I really don’t enjoy reading books that involves rape and sexual abuse,this book is not for me,nice review.
Clare Jose
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Currently Reading: The Elf Coup
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Clare Jose »

The author's family seems to have had difficult times in the past. I find it incredible that the author knew so much about her family history and about the lives lead by her ancestors.

While I'm not sure if I'll get around to reading this book, I am interested enough that I want to read it.
Thank you for your well-presented review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile." - Mark Twain
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: Splash Adventures by Janice M Pulsifer

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a really interesting story with well-developed characters. Great review!
Niens Now
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Survival of Species
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niens-now.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Niens Now »

A tale of hardships, cruelty and hope. Thank you for the awesome review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Mbrooks2518
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Mercenary's Journey by Colby Shillingburg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I don't think I would particularly enjoy this book. Great review, though!
Kaushiki Parihar
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The story of discrimination, genocide, hope, perseverance, wisdom, and survival seems appealing. Also the book's title captivated me. I look forward to reading this book. Great review!
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by addicted reader »

Destiny of Dreams by Burnham Martin sounds like a great read, full of emotions. Thanks for this insightful review review. As a fan of non-fiction stories, I'll give it a try.
Julius James 1
2021 Reading Goal: 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius James 1 »

History is all studying the past through the eye of the present. Everyone must face a challenge in life. When we face we rise but when we fear we run. A great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”