Review of Madrigal

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review of Madrigal

Post by DTamara »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Madrigal" by Christophe Medler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Christophe Medler has conjured the most genuine experience possible for those who dream of being a spy and detective in early modern Europe. Through Sir Robert Douse, Head of the King's Secret Service, and his son Christophe, we get a detailed insight into the workings of the spy network during the English Civil War (1642–1651) and the establishment of the short-lived Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland for the first and last time to date.

Sir Robert Douse is a loyal Royalist and the mastermind behind the elite King's Secret Service. Despite devoting his life to the King, once it is clear that civil war is inevitable, Robert is determined to prevent unnecessary bloodshed and find a compromise with the Parliamentarians while keeping King Charles I in power. He begins his quest in the summer of 1642 in high hopes of uncovering a closely guarded plan named Madrigal that might prevent the brewing war. Madrigal: A Closely Guarded Secret is split into two parts, father and son, respectively. The first part of the book follows Robert's adventures across the country as he tries to unravel the secret and track its instigators. In the meantime, his son joins the front line as an Officer of the King's Cavalry, and Robert goes on the most dangerous undercover mission in his life, forced to leave his home and loving wife. The second part follows Christophe's struggle for survival in the heat of the Civil war in the aftermath of the Battle of Naseby and his path to maturity. The two main underlying themes are the futility of war and the value of human life.

First of all, this is likely the most research-heavy historical fiction book I have read up to date. I would reckon the wealth of information packed in one single page is enough to fill a person's average workweek. The style of writing is beautifully simple, concise, and elegant. The author has the skill of capturing the essence of all kinds of things, both animate and inanimate, in a few words. He writes about people, their emotional and intellectual complexity, the war, the changing of seasons, the countryside, and the way of life. The author weaves the plot ingeniously and delicately around all of the above. While reading this exceptional piece of fiction, I felt like I was right there with Robert, crisscrossing the countryside on horseback, stopping by inn after inn for a pint of ale and rabbit or squirrel soup. While I learned a lot about the events of the Civil War, I equally appreciated learning about all the practicalities of life in the middle of the 17th century. Christophe Medler describes life in a manor, life on the road, and life in the city of London, along with countless surprises such as hunting and fly fishing!

The cherry on top is the collection of black and white illustrations scattered throughout the book. In my opinion, they open up a whole new dimension of immersion. All of the places and their location meticulously mentioned in the book: castles, manors, inns, churches, shops, are existent, and in many cases, illustrated. It is rare to find an author that tries to engage with his readers the way Christophe Medler does. He has even issued a pub crawl challenge with prizes for his readers. The challenge consists of visiting the 33 pubs and inns mentioned in the book, all of which operated in the 1640s!

I have nothing but praise for this book. I rate Madrigal: A Closely Guarded Secret 4 out of 4 stars, and I look forward to reading part II of the "Closely Guarded Secret" series. I highly recommend this book to historical and detective fiction fans, especially those who appreciate thorough research and details. Finally, for those who like to conduct their research on top, you surely won't be disappointed.

Madrigal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JodieLKM
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading: Solaris seethes
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodielkm.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by JodieLKM »

I really enjoyed your review. It was well thought out and descriptive enough I would like to read this book. I am going to look it up! Thank you!
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

JodieLKM wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 20:22 I really enjoyed your review. It was well thought out and descriptive enough I would like to read this book. I am going to look it up! Thank you!
Thank you, I am glad :techie-studyingbrown: .
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I will use the book as both research and pleasure. Nice review

Return to “Historical Fiction”