Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Abalone Ukulele" by R. L. Crossland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Skookum Yi is part of the Mugwa in Korea, a warrior. As a courier man, he handles Korea’s tribute to China and makes sure it reaches the Empress of China. When Japanese insurgents intercept the tribute under Yi’s charge, he becomes a disgrace and is forced to flee Korea. Yi’s journey leads him to different places, including Alaska, Canada, and San Francisco. He meets Ephraim, who he regards affectionately, but the Spuytens murder Ephraim. Yi must regain his honor and pay the Spuytens back in their coin. To regain his honor, Yi enlists the help of the US Navy, particularly officers Hobson and Draper. They must steal gold ingots from Imperial Japan. But international matters are not so straightforward, especially when love and lust are involved.

The Abalone Ukulele by R. L. Crossland has five parts. The first part covered Yi’s story, including how Japan made him a disgrace. I was glad for this insightful detail into Yi’s background, and it set the tone for later parts of the story. Readers get to feel Yi’s humility, foresight, and suffering. After Yi’s story, we soon see Hobson. While there is not much focus on his backstory, the author managed to flesh out Hobson’s character, letting us know why he is emotionally tied to Korea and why Yi would eventually hold him in high regard.

By the time we meet Draper, the final instrumental character in the theft of the gold ingots, there is no room for confusion, and the story progresses smoothly. The gradual progression that the author employed in revealing the storyline helped reduce whatever confusion I had due to the complex writing style the writer employed. This book is not science fiction, but the world the author created is not an easy one to read about. It is evident that the author researched every detail he drew inspiration from.

There were many new words and cultural introductions. The book mentioned things and places in Asia that I had no idea about. The author must have known that this book will not be an easy read, so he included a Glossary with links to several words in the story. I was grateful for the links because they took me directly to the meaning of the new words without much interruption to my reading flow.

The only thing I disliked about this book was that it was truly not an easy read, so it took me a while to settle into the story. But by the middle of the story, I was sitting on the edge of my seat and eagerly flipping the pages. The author was too clever in giving Yi an unexpected end. The author also included Historical Notes that showed that he drew his inspiration from actual historical events and people. Despite the time it took for me to appreciate this story, I must say that it is a work of creative genius, so my rating is 4 out of 4. This book is for historical fiction buffs. If you like reading about Asian adventures, this is a book for you. There is the use of profanity and some sexual scenes.

The Abalone Ukulele
View: on Bookshelves
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Yi's adventures to clear his name sound riveting. Do they succeed in stealing the gold from Japan? Thank you for a wonderful review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

International novels as this are always interesting to read because they expose you to so much information.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I find this book so informative,would add this book to my book shelves,beautiful review.
Jhamae De Vera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jhamae De Vera »

Informative book. It's great that I know the history and culture of japan and korea. I am grateful and will definitely read this.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I think it wount be a bad idea reading international novels, it's informative, thanks for the honest review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The Abalone Ukulele by R.L. Crossland is a masterful blend of history and adventure, weaving Skookum Yi's quest for honor across Asia and America with rich detail and cultural depth. A challenging yet rewarding read for fans of historical fiction. 🌏⚔️ Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

This review provides a compelling overview of "The Abalone Ukulele" by R. L. Crossland, highlighting the intricate character development and immersive storytelling. The intricate plot involving international intrigue and personal redemption piques my interest in exploring the novel further. :techie-studyinggray:

Congratulation on BOTD
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Skookum Yi's journey in 'The Abalone Ukulele' from Korea to Alaska is a riveting tale of honour and redemption. With intricate character arcs and historical depth, I'm eager to delve into this quest for vengeance and integrity.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This historical fiction story features Asian adventures based on true events. Yi's character looks intriguing. The story includes international affairs, love and lust.
Olesya Teivan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Olesya Teivan »

It was informative and interesting to read about intercultural relationships
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

Yi is a courier man who handles Korea's tribute to China. When Japan intercepts the tribute under Yi'a charge he is forces to flee Korea. Read this book based on new cultural introductions to know if Yi cleared his name. Thanks for the detailed review.
Mamman Alhassan Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamman-alhassan-thomas.html
Latest Review: Finding Happiness & Purpose with Stage 4 Cancer by Annabelle Maurer

Post by Mamman Alhassan Thomas »

Informative book. It is a masterful blend of history and adventure, a tale of honour and redemption. Congratulations on BOTD
Julius Adekunle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-adekunle.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq

Post by Julius Adekunle »

"Abalone Ukulele" by R. L. Crossland is a gripping historical tale filled with intrigue and redemption. Despite its initial complexity, the Glossary aids comprehension, and once engaged, it's hard to put down. Fans of historical fiction will appreciate the vivid characters and unexpected twists. 4 out of 4 stars.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Playing Chess with Bulls by Sarah P. Blanchard

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

I am already intrigued by the cover; beautifully coloured, with the promise of the East with those red sails. Immediately it is obvious that R. L. Crossland knows his subject. The story seems complex, and brings together Easter and Western cultures in a brilliant and interesting g book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”