Review of Lena's Secret War

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Lena's Secret War

Post by Unique Ego »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lena's Secret War" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Around the early 70s, the world was engulfed in the Cold War. Espionage, spies, agents, and double-agents ruled the day. America and Britain on one side and Russia and Germany on the other side were embroiled in a silent but bitter war for superiority. Against this backdrop, a lot of people found themselves drawn into a conflict they knew nothing about. Eric Barrenger was just a master's degree student working to bag his degree at Uppsala University, Sweden. By some twist of fate, he found himself working as a courier for the CIA. However, on one of his assignments across the border, he met another agent—Lena—which was a severe breach of protocol. Little did they know this meeting would have far-reaching consequences that would reverberate all over Europe and eternally alter their lives in ways they could never have imagined.

Lena's Secret War was an exceptional thriller. From the first page to the last, this was one book I found difficult to put down. Talk about intrigue, suspense, drama, comedy, adventure, plot twists; this book has it all. Fred G. Baker did an excellent job of bringing to life the Cold War and all the intrigue and forces at play at the time. From the USA to Sweden, Germany to Prague, and all over Europe, the author took me on a journey into the life of a spy—in this case, Eric and Lena—during the Cold War. I enjoyed how he also used this story to portray the contrast between the prevailing economic models of capitalism and communism that sharply divided Europe at the time. This tale was divided into three parts. The first part set the background of Eric's story. The second part detailed Lena's efforts as she strived to help collapse the brutal communist regime in Russia at the time. The last part concluded the first two in a way that tied them together and brought a resolution that could only be described as idyllic.

Baker's storytelling skills must be commended. I read one of his books some time ago—Zona: The Forbidden Land—and the rush I felt while reading that book came back with this one. Apparently, Baker isn't a one-hit wonder. The pulsating nature of his writing and the intriguing manner of Eric's and Lena's adventures and missions made this tale worthwhile and then some.

Initially, the story seemed disjointed; some characters and their roles seemed removed from the plot's core. It turns out this was intentional, as everything eventually came together at the right time. I honestly feel this story would be successful if it were adapted for the big screen.

I found nothing to dislike about this tale. I rate it an unreserved 4 out of 4 stars for a powerful story, well-developed characters, and excellent worldbuilding. I recommend it to people who love a bit of history in their fiction adventure stories.

Lena's Secret War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ninia akh
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninia-akh.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ninia akh »

Thanks for such a detailed and interesting review. I love history very much, and the book seems to be full of intrigue, adventure and surprises. I guess I will give it a try..
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I think I would enjoy this book. I love fictions that have adventure stories in them. Great job on your review.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This book sounds like one that I would enjoy. It has some of my most favorite genres: history, suspense and thrillers. Great review!
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Adventures and historical stories are my favorites,I think this would be a great book,thanks for the beautiful review.
Mimidee Vanilly
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimidee-vanilly.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Mimidee Vanilly »

Your detailed review make us, wants to read this book. Thrilling story, this story is telling about a dangerous life of double agent. And i think it must be fascinating. Your review make more appealing. Great review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Connecting the experience you had while reading to one of the author's works that you have read made him a pro in his art. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”