Review of Daughters of Nyx

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Daughters of Nyx

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daughters of Nyx" by Diane Bonavist.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is 428 BCE in Athens, and Timarcus is happy to have his beloved, Kore, back after seven years of separation. However, he gets the shock of his life when Kore is reported dead. The report is that Kore died a natural death, or, as the Athenians would say, Apollo's gentle arrow took her.

Timarcus' inability to feel Kore's presence after her demise frustrates him because he is supposed to, as the Athenians believe. In his quest to understand why, Timarcus stumbles on a clue that makes him suspect that Cleon, Athens' new ruler, has a hand in Kore's death. But confronting Cleon, who is known to be ruthless, would have dire consequences. Did Cleon kill Kore, or is Timarcus about to find shocking truths he couldn't have ever imagined? Read Daughters of Nyx by Diane Bonavist to find the answers to those questions and more.

This book's unpredictable end and intriguing twists and turns are worthy of commendation. There was no way I could have predicted what happened at the end of the tale, which is what I like most about the book. The story's climax is satisfying, so much so that it left a delightful hangover in my mind. The author uses the first-person point of view (Timarcus' perspective) to tell the story, and I am sure that readers would enjoy joining Timarcus to unravel the mystery surrounding Kore's death as the story progresses.

Furthermore, this author's writing style is praiseworthy. I enjoyed how the intrigue snowballed as the narrations progressed, making the book hard to put down. The surroundings, characters, and events are easy to visualize. I also love the author's attention to small details in her narrations. One such example is, "Sitting as close to the podium as we were, I could see every bit of spittle that shot from his lips." I enjoyed how she engaged my senses with graphic descriptions.

Being a historical fiction book, the author didn't disappoint in providing fascinating insights into the Athenian culture. An example is the placing of coins on the body of the dead before cremation takes place. Another aspect of the book that I enjoyed is its characterization. The characters are both lifelike and unique, and I love that their dialogues are believable.

In conclusion, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is rich in fascinating narrations, culture, and well-developed characters and has an intriguing plotline and a praiseworthy climax. Aside from a few editing errors in the book, there wasn't anything I disliked about this exciting read. I, therefore, rate Daughters of Nyx four out of four stars. I highly recommend this novel to lovers of historical fiction stories, especially those who enjoy stories set in ancient Athens.

Daughters of Nyx
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

Its nice to know the book is very unpredictable and I love suspense in books. There are useful information to learn about the Athenian culture since the book provides fascinating insights about the Athenian culture. Thanks for this interesting review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

A historical mystery faithful to the ancient Athenian culture seems interesting, surely a must-read for fans of ancient Greece. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I'm sold on the Athenian culture. I'd like to read this one. Awesome review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Ancient Greece and Athenian culture are fascinating. A historical fiction story placed on that time together with a skilled author can not be anything else than good. I wonder what was the unpredictable ending you mentioned? 🤔 ...and I guess I have to read the book to find out, you are obviously not allowed to tell 😂

Thanks for an interesting review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Athens and history fiction seem very appealing, and your excellent review convinced me to read this book. Thank you for your recommendation!
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I love story related to Greece, join with the fact that the book is unpredictable and has a great storyline, makes this book a must read for me. Thanks for the great review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

The only knowledge I have heard about Athens is the origin of Olympics. I am considering reading this. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”