Review of Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Review of Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

Post by Wesley Friday »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dread Tribunal of Last Resort" by Brian Kaufman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Decker Brown can already see his future before him. When he returns to Virginia from an apprenticeship with his uncle in Boston, he will marry the love of his life; Paula. Then he will start a business company to manufacture fireworks and perhaps live happily ever after. But fate has its own way of doing things.

Decker’s return coincides with the beginning of the American Civil War as Fort Sumter is attacked not too long after his arrival. Apart from being denied permission to marry Paula by her father, he now finds himself in a dilemma he never envisioned. He can choose to fight for the Union Army, in support of his ideals, or fight for the Confederate South for the sake of his father and the woman he loves.

The hopeful, rational and just youth in him urges him on. He sacrifices being on the same side with the love of his life and his father to fight for his ideals. But will fate be kind to him for such a decision? One is left to wonder how he will succeed in joining the enemy ranks in an unrecognizable manner. At the end of the day, if he does, will he come back to Virginia to the admiration of all and sundry or otherwise?

This is the story of Brian Kaufman’s Dread Tribunal of Last Resort. It takes you into the world of historical fiction; particularly a period during and after the American Civil War as it tells the story of Decker Brown, a young white man from Richmond, Virginia.

I would give Brian Kaufman’s Dread Tribunal of Last Resort a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. His ability to tell the story from a character’s perspective by divulging its thoughts and feelings to the reader made following the plot effortless. I particularly liked how the author’s writing showcased the cognitive dissonance experienced by the main character when he was faced with taking certain pivotal decisions.

The author also explored several themes which are still relevant in modern times. The book touched on issues of racism, particularly life for African Americans after their liberation, as well as the economic disparity prevalent in America.

Aside that the book was well edited with only a few grammatical errors. I did not find any specific feature to dislike about this book. I would recommend this book to individuals who have an interest in American Civil War history as well as those who just want a good story. Whether you are on the lookout for historical accuracy or you just want to enjoy a good book, I think Dread Tribunal of Last Resort will be a good choice.

Dread Tribunal of Last Resort
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”