Review of bashert

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of bashert

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "bashert" by Larry G. Goldsmith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bashert by Larry G. Goldsmith tells the story and plight of Jewish members of the Soviet Union in a political setting where they are maltreated because they want religious freedom.

Young criminal attorney Michael Goldman had seen Shira, the last daughter of a renowned Rabbi, at a concert and had fallen in love with her almost immediately. Her friend had drugged her into hallucination, leaving her helpless. He gets married to Shira shortly after their first encounter.

Shira's father is a famous clandestine person at the forefront of seeking religious freedom. He is involved in helping Refuseniks escape. Refuseniks are Soviet Jews who applied for visas and were denied permission to leave Russia. Refuseniks get demoted or fired from their jobs, expelled from the university, beaten up, sentenced to prison, and their families punished. The Russian thugs beat them and make life unbearable if they continue to defy the Soviet Union.

The United States of America tries to jail Shira's father and is ready to deploy its legal arsenal to destroy the image of his movement and organization. Millions of people watch as the rabbi, with Michael as his lawyer, battles two world powers (the Soviet and USA).

Bashert is a well-written and heartwarming story. It is very creative and heartfelt, with plenty of exhilarating moments that keep the reader glued till the last page. The author brings passion to his storytelling. The author's writing style and language are superb. He makes the courtroom scenes so engaging that the reader won't want to hurry to get the verdict. He explains, in detail, everything that happens in the courtroom with easy terms that everyone will understand. The book is divided into sections and with accompanying captions to tell what each of them is about.

The most intriguing thing about the book is the consistency of the spiritual elements throughout the book. I learned plenty of things about Jewish belief and philosophy. Another big plus to the book is how the author painstakingly explains every step involved in a Jewish marriage rite. Readers will appreciate the content of the book and the knowledge it gives. This is a book that teaches and enlightens.

The characters are very relatable. The author doesn't portray them as perfect and impeccable. I like how the author also doesn't embellish the marriage institution. He makes us understand that love is not a bed of roses, and lovely couples have their dark and turbulent days. However, with committed efforts from both parties, it can be resolved amicably. This aspect of the book endears me most to the book, as I can relate to what the author is trying to communicate.

I'm rating this book three out of four stars. I take out a point due to the number of grammatical errors, even though most of them aren't worrisome. Besides the errors, there's nothing negative about Bashert. I recommend it to every lover of justice. People interested in the religious struggle of Jews will gain necessary insight.

bashert
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Historical Fiction”