Review of Matrimony

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Matrimony

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Matrimony" by Tutussaq A. Stauffer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matrimony is a folklore story written by Tutussaq A. Stauffer. This fictional novella is set around the Nushagak River and in a time when animals and humans lived together.

Taqkaq, the lead character, is a tall woman capable of great acts of strength. She is also capable of great anger, which bubbles and burns within her. Her husband, Kuksivaq, is small and skinny, which makes the pair an odd couple. One day Kuksivaq discusses an idea with his wife about them going hunting separately. Taqkaq agrees and travels to her fathers hunting camp. When she arrives, the house is full of strangers. These strangers are no match for Taqkaq’s strength and anger, and she soon evicts them from her families abode.

Bad dreams plague Taqkaq’s nights, and she spends the days skilfully hunting to provide supplies for her village over the winter. She is like the Yup’ik people, strong, resilient, and understands the seasons. Once she has hunted, she returns to her family. She is surprised to find that her husband hasn’t returned from his hunting expedition, so she decides to look for him. Her journey takes her to a shaman who delivers unwelcome news that triggers her anger, which has severe consequences for the rest of her life.

This story is a traditional tale, passed on orally. The author has done a great job to bring this historical tale to the pages for all to enjoy. The story is captivating and full of Alaskan tradition. The book is relatively short and is fast-moving, which makes it easily digestible for any reader. It contains elements of suspense and tension, making it a real page-turner. The book is reminiscent of a fairy tale, and I imagine once read as a child, it is as unforgettable as stories such as “Little Red Riding Hood.”

I loved the setting of the book. The author described the scenery and environment well. I felt that the author provided an insight into Alaska. The seasons and wildlife spring off the pages into the reader’s imagination due to the author’s creative writing. I found the details of the Alaskan diet particularly interesting and how much work is involved in hunting through the warmer seasons to provide for the winter season. The descriptions of hunting animals included are graphic. They are insightful but could be upsetting for more sensitive or younger readers.

The main character is interesting, with her large size, strength, and anger issues. She is well written, and I enjoyed how her personality developed throughout the story. There is a brilliant twist with the character at the end of the book that is a delight to read and makes the story very memorable and unique.

The book is exceptionally edited, as I didn’t find any grammar or spelling mistakes. I loved the story and its deep-rooted history, and it had a fantastic ending. I didn’t find anything to dislike about the book, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Adult and children will enjoy this story, but the hunting scenes may be a little gory for some.

Matrimony
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The book is all about Tuqkuq, and has woman empowerment at epitome. Review is the epitome to this book.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I might have to pick this book up, it sounds extremely interesting. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”