Review of Reflections through the Periscope

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Review of Reflections through the Periscope

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reflections through the Periscope" by Jaqui O'Donohoe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When she lost her dad, Jaqui O’Donohoe sought to tell the world about what a wonderful family man his dad was. In the process, her memoir Reflections Through the Periscope offers a few practical tips on how to nurture special bonds between parents and their children. And rather than use concepts or abstract rules to convey her parental hints, O’Donohoe has shared some memorable family experiences that transpired between her and her dad, Peter Clark.

As a submariner, O’Donohoe’s dad’s work saw him away from his family for extended periods of time. Even so, O’Donohoe’s memories of her dad involved him being home, rather than away. This is because her dad had a way of turning those moments he was around into memorable ones that included his children, O’Donohoe and O’Donohoe’s little brother, Nic. When she was 10, O’Donohoe recalled how her dad took them out camping. Even though they were all members of the Scouts movement, their dad took a roundabout way through the marshlands surrounding a certain lake rather than take the official route to the camping ground. O’Donohoe notes how they enjoyed that outdoor experience, including eating the tastiest pizza their dad had ordered for them in the middle of nowhere, and the embellished stories he related.

In today’s age where families are busy, I enjoyed reading O’Donohoe’s narrative because it described how some of her family members found quality time to bond with each other. Furthermore, I was able to relate to the moment O’Donohoe learned that her dad had been diagnosed with a few long-term diseases, including prostate cancer, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), diabetes, mesothelioma, and liver psoriasis. This is because I have had my own share of traumatic family experiences in the recent past. As the firstborn in my family, I especially remembered how I had to help mom care for my invalid dad when he was incapacitated because of a motor accident.

A further and equally important theme was that of the effect of toxic relationships on family bonds. O’Donohoe’s parents separated when she was 14. Before this, her parents used to argue a lot, and, on occasion, her mom wouldn’t let her dad into the house. At 16, O’Donohoe almost committed suicide, something she blamed on her deteriorating relationship with her mother. In all these upheavals, I appreciated the family support structure that had been provided by O’Donohoe’s dad and stepmom, Julie.

In summary, this book’s editing is almost perfect, save for one editing error I identified. Since I didn’t find anything disagreeable with the book, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

To finish, this memoir explores the challenges the family institution is currently grappling with. There is now an increased likelihood of family members caring for terminally ill patients because of lifestyle changes or upturned because of upheavals created by remarriage or divorce. I, thus, recommend the memoir to anyone interested in exploring these topics. At the same time, the subject of the death of a loved one features prominently in this book. So, anyone likely to be affected by such a discussion may want to give the book a pass.

Reflections through the Periscope
View: on Bookshelves
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Seems like this is a complex and delicate story. Thank you for your immersive review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The book explores a difficult subject, the relationship between parents and children. We all have things to learn in this area, from one side or the other. Great job!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm still recovering from the death of my beloved father, who passed away 4 months ago. So, I can relate to the author in wanting to preserve his memory. And I'm sorry to hear about your difficult experience in having to care for your bedridden father when he had his accident.

I agree that there are many factors involved in family relationships and family dynamics.

Thank you for such a heartfelt review.
😌
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I may avoid this one for now. Reading about death of a loved one is hard for me. Thank you for the Honest review.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

Seems like a delicate subject. Books that are about the death of a loved one are very difficult to read. Thanks for the amazing review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I had such a great relationship with my dad. I wish everyone could have that, it’s really important to me. Thanks for the review.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This is a book for every parent. Some people should definitely read it. Awesome review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”