Review of Jumping The Fence

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Review of Jumping The Fence

Post by markodim721 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jumping The Fence" by John P Roberts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jumping the Fence: The Casuals Series Book 1 is the first book in the series. Author John P. Roberts has done a great job so the book can be read as a stand-alone book without any difficulty. The plot of the book takes readers back to the not-so-distant past. It’s the mid-70s and the Cold War is in full swing. In one of the biggest continuous conflicts ever, three Tenth Special Forces operatives will find themselves on a simple but dangerous mission behind enemy lines. Will they fulfill the task entrusted to them?

The main character in Jumping the Fence: The Casuals Series Book 1 is embodied in the resourceful private Eden DuFoe. Eden belonged to Casuals, a special part of the Special Forces composed of people of exceptional talent. One talent was breaking and entering other people's apartments, cars, or anything else as if they were his. This talent was of great use to the army when it was necessary to collect data in the depths of the enemy's territory or test the security of its own military bases. The main character ends the boredom of military life by stealing and reselling cars. The monotonous everyday life is interrupted when, together with the superior officer and another private, he is sent on a routine mission of collecting data in the depths of the USSR. Due to a combination of circumstances, what was supposed to be just another mission takes an unforeseen course. In neutral Finland, American operatives will completely unexpectedly take part in the fight for the hearts and minds of ordinary citizens.

What I really liked about Jumping the Fence: The Casuals Series Book 1 is the detailed knowledge of military life, the associated terminology, relationships in the military, and everything that makes up everyday military life. Detailed descriptions of military bases, facilities, and even equipment create very powerful images in the mind of the reader. Behind the words of the writer, there is a huge military experience that contributes to realistic descriptions. Also, I liked the often unexpected twists, which all contributes to the tension and dynamism of the plot.

What I didn't like about Jumping the Fence: The Casuals Series Book 1 are the noticeable major material errors. Among the most significant is the wandering between the past and the present while neglecting geopolitical relations. Thus, for example, the former Leningrad is called St. Petersburg throughout almost the entire book. Estonia, then a member of the USSR, is considered by the author to be an independent state, although this will happen only after more than 15 years. Also, a certain illogicality is noticeable when describing certain events. For example, a character who has never piloted before manages to escape professional pilots in an outdated plane.

With all of the above in mind, deciding how to rate Jumping the Fence: The Casuals Series Book 1 was not an easy one. My final judgment is to rate the book with three out of four stars. Although the book has certain shortcomings, good plot dynamics, realistic descriptions, and perfect command of military terminology were predominant in favor of making such a decision.

I think that fans of action books as well as admirers of the Cold War theme will enjoy the book. I do not recommend the book to younger categories of readers, since the use of profane language is quite common.

Jumping The Fence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a very analytical book on terms and aspects of the era. It's sad that some obvious mistakes ruin the whole picture. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Dimi1 wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 04:55 It seems like a very analytical book on terms and aspects of the era. It's sad that some obvious mistakes ruin the whole picture. Great review!
The book was really interesting, dynamic and with a good basic idea. I hope that the continuation of the series will be better. Thanks for stopping by.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Miriam nkere wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 05:44 Looks really interesting and captivating, well organised and knowledgeable, good review.
I'm glad that my review interested you in the book. Thanks for stopping by.
Bernabe Mulimba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernabe-mulimba.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Bernabe Mulimba »

The title of the book already presents an idea, but the reality of the content can be different.
I congratulate the review of the book.
:tiphat:
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Bernabe Mulimba wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 10:43 The title of the book already presents an idea, but the reality of the content can be different.
I congratulate the review of the book.
:tiphat:
I am glad that my review managed to interest you in the book. Thanks for stopping by.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

This is definitely not a book that I would be interested in, just based on genre and storyline but it sounds well done and this is a nicely written review!
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

This seems like an analytic and captivating book. Not sure I'll read it due to the theme, but it looks like a well-done book. Thanks for the great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love a book that describe realistic areas. It's very educative, and young people who are attracted to military careers might know better what to expect. Thank you for this insightful review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Ldpuff wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 15:40 This is definitely not a book that I would be interested in, just based on genre and storyline but it sounds well done and this is a nicely written review!
The book has a certain quality and interesting parts. Of course, we all have our own literary taste. Thanks for stopping by.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Reader Chavez wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 21:07 This seems like an analytic and captivating book. Not sure I'll read it due to the theme, but it looks like a well-done book. Thanks for the great review!
The book is really captivating and worth reading. I hope that other books from the same series will surpass this one in terms of quality. Thanks for the comment.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 05:48 I love a book that describe realistic areas. It's very educative, and young people who are attracted to military careers might know better what to expect. Thank you for this insightful review!
You are absolutely right. I think the book portrays the military in a new light, away from military parades, fronts and battles. Thanks for the comment.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Brilliant Review! This book does seem quite interesting, I may have to check it out once the aforementioned issues are resolved.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Wesusa wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:31 Brilliant Review! This book does seem quite interesting, I may have to check it out once the aforementioned issues are resolved.
The main character is very interestingly conceived and I believe that he will experience his development peak in the continuation of the series. Thanks for stopping by.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel set in an important period of our recent history. Despite errors and inconsistencies, it seems something worth reading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Historical Fiction”