Review of Lily Campbell's Secret

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review of Lily Campbell's Secret

Post by derialist »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lily Campbell's Secret" by Jennifer Bryce.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lily Campbell's Secret by Jennifer Bryce is a coming-of-age story about Lily, a socially deviant girl who didn't aspire to the life of intellectual pursuits. She preferred to lead a simpler life, where she was free and in control of how she lives instead of what society dictates about how a learned person should live. At 17, during her visit to her Aunt Mildred's home, she falls in love with a farmhand and becomes pregnant with his child. How will this event impact the rest of her life?

The book shines in helping the reader to understand and empathize with Lily's thoughts and emotions. The turmoil she faced when she disclosed her pregnancy to her parents, who were ashamed of her as a result, felt so real that I couldn't help feel sorry for her. Struggles are a part of life. The book captures this accurately, adding realism to it so that it doesn't feel like a washed-down fairy tale.

I loved how the book built upon the friendship between Lily and Diana. While Lily chose to live a modest life, Diana opted to continue her academic pursuits in music. Two people leading entirely different lives but are bonded by their long-term friendship and love for each other. When Lily was down on her luck, Diana was the only constant in her life— sometimes being the voice of reason for her when she was about to do something foolish.

Some parts of the book were a little predictable, but, for the most part, the author manages to maintain a sense of mystery and surprise. The story didn't conclude the way I thought it would, and I think she did a great job in that regard. However, it's not the most exciting book because it uses a serious tone throughout the book with very little humor.

The ending really took me by surprise, and in as much I loved that it wasn't predictable, it wasn't a great ending for the book. It tries to conclude the story on a positive note by focusing on Lily's daughter's achievements, but other than that, I was left in a state of confusion.

I rate Lily Campbell's Secret 2 out of 4 stars for the reasons I've mentioned above. The narration feels a bit bland, and the conclusion was unsatisfying and confusing. Despite all this, it excels in bringing the reader closer to the characters— particularly Lily. It is also professionally edited. I would recommend this book to mature audiences— particularly readers who love reading romance novels.

Lily Campbell's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

A good story with inspiring lessons. I would love to read this book for the message that it portrays although I would pass on this since I love mystery and suspense which seems rare in this book. This is a good and detailed review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the strong and realistic plot of the novel. Thanks for the unbiased review.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

Being pregnant at a young age with no parental support can be very challenging. I love that this book plays with my emotions, allowing me to feel empathy for Lily. You've written a good review of this book
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It is such a shame that the ending did not raise to the expectations. However, I enjoyed reading your thorough review!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I know I'd prefer more levity in the book if I were to read it for pleasure, but it is nice that the tale wasn't too predictable! Thanks for your review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I feel that the book had the potential to do great with its theme and message. It's sad that the narration was bland, and the conclusion was confusing. I hope the author can look into it more. Thank you for writing a thorough and honest review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”