Official Review: The Ambitious Pyramid of Kush

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Official Review: The Ambitious Pyramid of Kush

Post by jennydelacruz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ambitious Pyramid of Kush" by Justin kuku.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ambitious Pyramid of Kush by Justin kuku is a story of an African man who wanted to make a difference. A man who respects and honors his roots and his people so much that he hated the oppression and all the inequality that they are experiencing.

The principal character of the story is Tokia Kaunda. A young man from Sudan who, upon witnessing the abuse of the Arabs and Muslims to his people, has dreamt of becoming a lawyer to fight for his fellow citizens. Tokia had to face many difficulties, overcome challenges and break through walls and obstacles for his dream to become a reality. He experienced excruciating and extremely unpleasant experiences. Despite all the inequalities, inhumane treatment, and prejudices for being black, Tokia persevered. He did not let any of those stop him from accomplishing his dream.

Did he succeed? Did he reach his dreams and goals? What were the challenges that he faced? I would like to say, “Read the book to find out,” but please read the recommendations and comments I enumerated below before grabbing the book.

The author had me on his acknowledgment. “Had she not introduced me to the online games, I would’ve finished this novel a long time ago.” I found it funny. I had the impression that though this is a book about war, oppression, and crime, the author might have put a touch of humor in the book. Sad to say, the humor ended on that page.

I had the pdf copy and the layout made it difficult for me to read it on my mobile. The book will benefit from another round of editing, as there were several grammatical errors found. The lengthy introduction of insignificant characters and/or scenes is unnecessary and can rather be boring. Nonetheless, I like the story. If I may, it isn't a pleasant read - not because the book is terrible, but because the narration of the gruesome events was so vivid.

Potential readers of this book may be limited to a handful of people. The existence of morbid descriptions of sexual assault, torture, and suicide will not be pleasant to some. Specific religions were also present and if you are a believer of either of the sects mentioned, you may find some remarks disagreeable. In addition, the book contains foul language. It’s not suitable for young readers.

The storyline is interesting; however, the content is too heavy for me. I expected a pinch of humor but was disappointed. Carefully considering all the observations I’ve written, I concluded to give this book 2 out of 4 stars.

The Ambitious Pyramid of Kush
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Historical Fiction”