Official Review: Hemingway's Daughter

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Hemingway's Daughter by Christine M. Whitehead

Official Review: Hemingway's Daughter

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hemingway's Daughter" by Christine M. Whitehead.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Is it not fascinating to imagine the possibility of recreating your favourite writer's life? If you had the opportunity to change one thing about any of your favourite heroes who lived, what would that one thing be? For Christine Whitehead, she decides to write about late American journalist and fiction writer, Earnest Hemingway. Only this time, he had the daughter he so eagerly desired.

Hemingway's Daughter is a historical fiction that narrates the life experiences of Finley Richard Hemingway, daughter of Earnest Hemingway. We know in reality that Hemingway had only three sons, so this is a creation of the author's mind. However, such knowledge does not detract from the threads of authenticity and beauty weaved into this book. The reader abandons reality as he knows it and fully adopts Hemingway's life, as recreated by the author.

An alcoholic sometimes, other times, an insensitive husband. Yet, Hemingway is nothing short of extraordinary and lovable, revelling in his lifelong passion for writing, which he says defines him more than anything else. His daughter, Finley Richard Hemingway, adores him greatly despite his apparent flaws and shortcomings, always fighting to have his undivided attention. She desires, against all odds, to become a female litigation lawyer in a male-dominated society, for this has been her lifelong dream. More importantly, seeing her father was a constant victim of failed marriages and divorces, she desires intently to break the jinx and curse that attaches to every Hemingway: love always ends for the Hemingways, and usually, badly. Does she succeed in breaking the Hemingway Jinx? Find out by reading this intriguing fiction novel.

This book has numerous positive aspects. Firstly, I found no single error in this book despite its extensive length. This is proof of exceptional editing. Not only this, the recreation of the life of Hemingway to include a daughter he never had, added a variation to the life of the legendary writer that endears him even more to the readers. Through Finley's narration, we have a peep into his failings and significant victories. We observe the flaws in his character and the wisdom in his words. According to him, "...love is all there is", and it "...will find you if you refuse to find it. That's its mission."

In addition to the positive points listed above, the plot was intriguing and captivating. I found myself glued to this book right till the very last page. I found nothing to dislike about this book. Therefore, I give it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars rating. I recommend Hemingway's Daughter to everyone who enjoys reading historical fictions. In particular, I recommend it to all who will enjoy reading about perseverance and determination even in the face of adversity.

Hemingway's Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Pie Yi Yi
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: From Quiet Homes by Michael Kelly

Post by Kirsi_78 »

This book sounds very intriguing, what an idea to re-write someone’s life story like that! Giving Hemingway such a strong-willed daughter probably changed his life for good 😁 Thank you for introducing this exiting book and writing such a lovely review!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Jagiine »

This is an interesting concept. I think I'm most curious to know what major events or habits the author proposed would've changed for Hemingway with having a daughter, if any. Thanks for your review!
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I love the concept of this book! It sounds so interesting. While I have not yet read a novel by Hemingway, I am wanting to do so in the future. I will have to add this book to my TBR list. Thank you so much for your great review!
Kike17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kike17.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Kike17 »

A book that keeps one glued to its pages is worth having. Thanks for your recommendation.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Clearer Vision by Traci Chevell Adkins

Post by maggi3 »

This is such an interesting premise. I don’t know all that much about Hemingway, but I think I would still greatly enjoy this book. Thanks for the review and recommendation!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:

Return to “Historical Fiction”