Official Review: From Quiet Homes by Michael Kelly

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Official Review: From Quiet Homes by Michael Kelly

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Quiet Homes" by Michael Kelly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What makes different nations attack each other? When does a neighbor become your enemy? Where is the sanity in this madness called war? Tim Rogers learned early on that there’s a thing called chain of evil. But if there’s such a thing, shouldn’t there also be a chain of goodness? Tim was born in a small Australian town during the aftermath of World War I and is living the days of his early adulthood in the turmoil of World War II. He is having a hard time adjusting to the ongoing circumstances. Like many other young blokes of his time, Tim feels obliged to choose his side and participate in the ongoing war. Eventually, he joins RAF Bomber Command. Quieting the inner consciousness, he concentrates on the tasks at hand. During one unfortunate mission, he gets shot down and ends up badly wounded in a German hospital. The inevitable happens, and he falls in love with his nurse. Their circumstances are excruciating. Does their blooming relationship stand even the slightest chance of survival?

From Quiet Homes by Michael Kelly is a historical fiction novel with a hint of romance. It has been built of ingredients such as friendship, love, big emotions, and philosophical reflections. The story paints an Australian perspective on world events. The echoes of war are present even in this faraway corner of the world, and every individual faces the turmoil differently. Tim Rogers is thoughtful and sensitive. He is deeply troubled by the course of events. His childhood friend Alan is more straightforward and refuses to see the enemy as anything more than hostile. Willy, a German immigrant, is placed in an impossible situation. His new home country has a place in his heart, but he still loves his origins and family. Tim’s roommates Reg and George have a cheerful attitude towards life, and even war can’t change that. The book focuses on Tim’s journey in the chaos of events but still gives satisfactory endings to the stories of other characters.

This book does a great job underlining the madness of war. The characters are incredibly lovable. The author describes them with a specific fondness. That results in Tim and his friends seeming realistic and alive. I valued the author’s attempt to deal with the grievances of war through Tim’s character. I am suggesting that the thoughts and questions he put into Tim’s mind were an attempt to speak out his own feelings. Regardless of what the truth might be, Tim was adorable with his sensitivity and ability to think deep. He was by no means blind or deaf to the insanity of war or other nuances of life. Another character troubled by deep thoughts was Willy, the German immigrant. There is an unspeakable amount of wisdom hidden inside of this burdened and slightly sorrowful man. I enjoyed the valuable life lessons the author shared through Willy. Along with the most charming characters, my second-most favorite thing in this book was that the author used some old-fashioned language to create a relatable atmosphere.

My only complaint about this book considers its beginning. The first chapter felt somehow out of place and even tedious. At first, I had a hard time connecting with the story and figuring out what it was all about. It is noteworthy that I almost thought it was a mistake to choose this book for reading. These feelings turned out to be only temporary. Once I reached the second chapter, the story started flowing irresistibly. Later on, I found it impossibly difficult to put the book down. However, my honest opinion is that From Quiet Homes would have been better off without the first chapter.

Regardless of the somewhat troublesome start, I can’t even consider rating this book anything else than 4 out of 4 stars. The story was based on a healthy set of values, and for the abovementioned reasons, I utterly enjoyed the moments I spent with Tim and his friends. Special thanks go to the editors. This book included hardly any mistakes. I warmly recommend From Quiet Homes to anyone who likes historical fiction with a touch of romance. This book deals with topics that sometimes feel heavy. However, it is still one of those good-spirited stories that leave a long-lasting smile on your face.

From Quiet Homes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Historical fiction is usually not my thing but this novel seems interesting, being set in a period of recent history that's important and dramatic. The Australian point of view is quite original. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 10:08 Historical fiction is usually not my thing but this novel seems interesting, being set in a period of recent history that's important and dramatic. The Australian point of view is quite original. Thank you for your great review!
This book was altogether worth reading. Thanks for your encouraging words!
Kirsi
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I actually prefer slow beginnings to poor endings. It's good the story later picked up and got interesting. Thanks for your detailed analysis.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Kike17 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 16:12 I actually prefer slow beginnings to poor endings. It's good the story later picked up and got interesting. Thanks for your detailed analysis.
I am indeed happy that I did not stop reading before I reached the second chapter! I utterly loved this story!

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Books with a tedious beginning can be...tedious in the beginning.
But, I'm glad the story picked up afterwards and got interesting.

I might give it a try.
Thanks for a detailed, interesting review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow, sounds like a marvelous read! I would love to read this one also because the Australian perspective major historical events is very interesting :) Thank you so much for this amazing review!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

zainherb wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 02:39 Books with a tedious beginning can be...tedious in the beginning.
But, I'm glad the story picked up afterwards and got interesting.

I might give it a try.
Thanks for a detailed, interesting review.
Yes, you got that one right! :D Thanks for reading & commenting!
Kirsi
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Looks like a world war historical fiction with a twist of continuing a chain of goodness instead of rage and war. Thanks for your brilliant review. I thinking of looking at this book shortly.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Ellylion wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 03:15 Wow, sounds like a marvelous read! I would love to read this one also because the Australian perspective major historical events is very interesting :) Thank you so much for this amazing review!
Reading a war story from the Australian perspective was very unique. I have read lots of books about World War II but never before from this perspective.

Thank you for for your encouraging feedback, it is very much appreciated :)
Kirsi
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I can't get enough of war stories like this.
I especially like a book with less emphasis on romance but more on friendship.
I will surely give this book a try.
Thank you for the thorough review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 23:41 I can't get enough of war stories like this.
I especially like a book with less emphasis on romance but more on friendship.
I will surely give this book a try.
Thank you for the thorough review.
I am pretty sure you’ll enjoy this one! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

The romance in the book is just an icing on the cake for me because I love historical fiction books regardless. Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 16:47 The romance in the book is just an icing on the cake for me because I love historical fiction books regardless. Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation.
Well, then, we have something in common. Historical fiction is my favorite genre, along with memoirs, that is. Thanks for your encouraging feedback!
Kirsi
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

You wrote a very beautiful review. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”