Official Review: The Sun at Twilight by N.L. Holmes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Sun at Twilight by N.L. Holmes

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sun at Twilight" by N.L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sun at Twilight tells a story of duty, love, and sacrifice. A new king has emerged to rule Hatti, but he doesn't seem strong enough to lead. With the constant issues rising in the land and tales of bad news and problems spring up every day, the new king has to prove himself.

Tashmi-sharrumma has just become king, but he starts aging faster with the unending challenges he faces daily. He doesn't think himself legitimate enough to be king, and some people don't either. For fear of offending the gods, he ends a lifelong friendship. However, this leads to unforeseen issues. Will Tashmi-sharrumma be able to sort out these issues?

The Sun at Twilight was exciting to read, even though it lacked the element of suspense. The way the story flowed made up for the lack of suspense in more ways than one. I did expect to see that element in a story like this. However, I wasn't disappointed with the overall delivery of the book.

The author made up for the lack of suspense by paying attention to detail with the descriptions. This made the story seem realistic, as most significant events were described in the minutest detail. My most favorite descriptions were those of the battle formations and strategies used during battle. It was like getting a first-hand glimpse into this ancient world. I was drawn to the story by the descriptions.

Another factor I appreciated in the book was the excellent character development. Taking Kurunta, for instance, we get to see his character develop from a loyal to a vengeful person due to the things he had been experienced. The development of certain characters helped a great deal in shaping the plot twist in the book.

N. L. Holmes was not only telling a story, but she also passed valuable historical knowledge in the book. She gives us a glimpse of the Hittite culture. She does this by writing a detailed story set in this era and providing specific details about their culture. Before reading the book, I had only heard in passing about the culture. However, from the book, I got an in-depth knowledge of it. The descriptions of the lifestyle, rituals, taboos (like not touching a corpse which required purification if done), and religious practices (like consulting oracles) were clear and detailed.

N.L Holmes' reputation of writing good books precedes her, and The Sun at Twilight satisfies my expectations. Asides from the apparent lack of suspense in the book, I have no issues with it. The errors are few and not distracting. Therefore, I give it a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to lovers of historical fiction set in a not-so-popular culture and era.

The Sun at Twilight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Character development is key to the success of every book. Poorly developed characters could leave the reader with regrets and disappointment. I love your review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Nice review. It's quite engaging. And this seems like a book that will be suitable for everyone. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Historical Fiction”