Official Review: "The Beautiful Tale"

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Official Review: "The Beautiful Tale"

Post by Smmwallace »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""The Beautiful Tale"" by Francis L. Pipolo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Beautiful Tale by Francis L. Pipolo is a historical fiction novel that takes place during the final weeks leading up to the crucifixion of Christ. Although the power-hungry Romans are taking more land every day, the kingdom of Paradisum in the north remains unscathed and bountiful. In Paradisum, Nabal is a benevolent king who seems to have everything except happiness and contentment. Thinking on the matter, he concludes he must learn the reason and truth for his and mankind's existence. Anticipating a long and arduous quest, the king sends his court jester Felix in his place. Meek and crippled, Felix is sent abroad to pursue the truth. Feeling fearful of the unknown, he nonetheless bravely sets off alone on this vital mission for his king. He soon meets a gentle giant and former gladiator, Tobias of Athens, and a generous but skeptical wealthy sea merchant, Theo. Becoming fast friends, they accompany Felix on his mission as they also want to know the truth. Soon, they hear rumors of a carpenter in Israel that could be the Christ, the son of God, the one who may hold the answer to humanity's existence. Meeting many characters along the way, some friends and some foes, the determined companions set sail for Israel, where the real journey begins!

Mr. Pipolo titled this book perfectly. It was indeed a beautiful tale and such a joy to read. The story itself was fiction, but the linear narrative loosely followed the biblical timeframe leading up to Christ's crucifixion. The author included many historical and biblical figures, locations, and scenarios throughout the book, making it realistic and educational. The journey in searching for the truth was the central theme, not only the physical journey of travel but also the journey of one's soul along the way. Each character had tribulations to overcome, so the thematic patterning of seeking the truth and being challenged was exciting to witness. Therefore as the story progressed, hope and faith became more pronounced.

The protagonist of this profound story was Felix, and he was quickly one of my favorite characters. Although of sound mind but crippled since birth and a lowly court jester, his outlook on life was inspiring. Not only was he accepting and tolerant of others, but he was also genuine and caring. The author easily could have portrayed Felix as a bitter and self-pitying character due to his physical disabilities, which during ancient times would've limited his acceptance into society. He didn't, and I'm so glad Felix was the sweet and uplifting character he was. The progression of the story also highlighted his increasing self-confidence and dignity, which I delighted in.

There were many supporting characters, and I could tell Mr. Pipolo wrote each one with care, providing sustenance and depth. I loved Felix's traveling companions and friends, especially Tobias and Theo. As an ex gladiator, Tobias was physically intimidating, yet he had a heart of gold and a nurturing disposition. He pulled on my heartstrings many times throughout the book. Theo was cheerful, funny, and fiercely loyal to his friends. He was not only generous with his prosperity, but his home, his time, and his beloved ship, the Orpheus. The evolving relationship between the three characters was a pleasure to behold that made me happy and optimistic.

Historically and biblically, times were strife with unrest and turmoil. On one end of the spectrum was the second Roman emperor Tiberius and his conquests, and on the other end were the Pharisees, both determined to see the demise of the truth, Christ Jesus. The story had a fantastic ending with an unexpected twist that I didn't see coming. It was a beautifully well-written story that was full of hope, endurance, and love.

There was nothing I disliked about the book, and no errors were to be found. Therefore, I'm happy to rate this book a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars.

Although religious in nature, it is not preachy. I feel everyone can enjoy reading this book as the underlying message is one of hope and love, which is universal.

"The Beautiful Tale"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This is one of the rare books that feature characters with disability.
I will definitely recommend this to my friends who love to hear stories related to Christ.
I might have read a similar book before, so this novel will refresh my mind and help me recall the title of that book.
Great review of an awesome story!
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A book about events leading up to the crucifixion of Christ will be great to read. I'll definitely check it out. Great review.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

El_limitless wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 09:33 A book about events leading up to the crucifixion of Christ will be great to read. I'll definitely check it out. Great review.
You'll enjoy it! Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
:tiphat:
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 06:49 This is one of the rare books that feature characters with disability.
I will definitely recommend this to my friends who love to hear stories related to Christ.
I might have read a similar book before, so this novel will refresh my mind and help me recall the title of that book.
Great review of an awesome story!
It's a beautiful book. Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate it!
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This is a very detailed review! It sounds like a fascinating story and I love that there are no errors! I always find fiction that relates to the Bible fascinating because it opens our eyes to other perspectives. Thank you for a great review!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

cd20 wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 13:37 This is a very detailed review! It sounds like a fascinating story and I love that there are no errors! I always find fiction that relates to the Bible fascinating because it opens our eyes to other perspectives. Thank you for a great review!
It's a great book. If you get a chance to read it, please do! Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such an insightful review, I enjoyed reading it.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author injects creativity into the events leading up to the death of Christ. This captivating story will appeal to Christians and biblical scholars.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

A truly unusual combination of fiction and historical facts.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Mtibza eM wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 13:13 Thank you for sharing such an insightful review, I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you! I appreciate you stopping by!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Fireside119 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 19:14 I like that the author injects creativity into the events leading up to the death of Christ. This captivating story will appeal to Christians and biblical scholars.
It was a great book! Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

markodim721 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 13:04 A truly unusual combination of fiction and historical facts.
How true, and it turned out beautifully! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

What a loyal servant Felix was! Despite his physical shortcomings, he was obedient. I wonder if they managed to accomplish their mission. Awesome review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Nqobile771 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 01:32 What a loyal servant Felix was! Despite his physical shortcomings, he was obedient. I wonder if they managed to accomplish their mission. Awesome review.
Read the book if you can, you won't be sorry! Thanks for leaving a comment. I really appreciate it!

Return to “Historical Fiction”