Official Review: The Sun at Twilight by N.L. Holmes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Official Review: The Sun at Twilight by N.L. Holmes

Post by Drianie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sun at Twilight" by N.L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sun at Twilight by N.L. Holmes tells the gripping tale of conflict within the Hittite Empire somewhere during the Bronze Age. Due to the limited knowledge available on the Hittite civilization, different theories exist among historians. In her notes, Holmes explains which of these theories best fit her version of the story she wished to tell. The result of her work is a riveting tale about duty, justice, love, and sacrifice.

Tashmi-sharrumma, the Great King of Hatti Land, has to deal with many unexpected challenges during his reign. Chief among these is his dwindling relationship with his cousin, Kurunta. Growing up together has forged a love between them that seemed unbreakable. When Tashmi-sharrumma becomes king, he fears offending the gods with their taboo relationship. However, he could never have anticipated their broken friendship leading to civil war. Add to this conflict an ever-persistent drought, the outbreak of plague, and the threat of an Assyrian invasion, and you have the makings of a disaster threatening the survival of Tashmi-sharruma’s kingdom. With 350 pages boasting a sizeable cast of characters and many more intricate plot elements, this is the best summary I can come up with without spoiling anything for prospective readers.

What I admired the most was the abundance of complex characters the author masterfully incorporated into her story. Each one consists of clear motivations, strengths, and flaws, making them relatable and easy to understand. It was difficult to root for anyone specific as the author forced me to explore both sides of a disagreement. I enjoyed this aspect the most as I am a reader who appreciates flawed characters with clear motives driving their good and bad choices.

Tashmi was a fascinating protagonist as he did not strike me as the ideal choice for a king. His many flaws, both physical and emotional, often hindered him from making clear and concise decisions. I sympathized with him as he struggled to find a balance between his personal happiness and his duty to his people. Likewise, I appreciated his efforts to be both a just and merciful king, with his leadership style often at odds with those around him. At other times he frustrated me, making me want to scream at him through the pages. I made similar emotional connections with many of the other characters, which ensured a memorable reading experience.

I also want to acknowledge the detailed historical elements that truly brought this story to life. The author's experience as a history teacher and archaeologist further elevates this book, and her love for her craft shines through on every page. I learned a lot about the complex Hittite culture within the beautifully depicted settings. It took some time to get used to the unusual names and new terminology, but I commend the author for her clear and straightforward writing style, which made it easy to follow along as the story progressed.

Ultimately, this novel lived up to my expectations and successfully combined excellent character development with a captivating plot. Looking back, I honestly have no complaints to raise against this well-written novel and happily award it 4 out of 4 stars. Besides a few errors, I believe the overall text to be well-edited. The minimal sexual content and violence are free of any graphic details that would prevent sensitive readers from enjoying this book. However, the novel contains some profanity, and a younger audience should thus approach this book with caution. I implore lovers of historical fiction to get their hands on a copy of this novel as it deserves to be read and enjoyed.

The Sun at Twilight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review. Thank you for sharing.
Sherry Wilson 1
Favorite Book: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherry-wilson-1.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sherry Wilson 1 »

Thank you for your review; it has sparked my interest. As a historical fiction lover, I must put this on my 'to read' list. A story set in the Bronze Age in the little-known and mysterious world of the Hittites is a rarity. I am intrigued and eager to learn more.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

The plot seems complex but it sounds like the author managed to pull it off well. Thanks for the great review!
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Mtibza eM wrote: 28 May 2021, 07:26 Great review. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :tiphat:
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Sherry Wilson 1 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 02:33 Thank you for your review; it has sparked my interest. As a historical fiction lover, I must put this on my 'to read' list. A story set in the Bronze Age in the little-known and mysterious world of the Hittites is a rarity. I am intrigued and eager to learn more.
I agree! I have never come across content focused on the Hittites, and it really provided an interesting learning experience. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and commenting! :tiphat:
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Booklover Becca wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 07:06 The plot seems complex but it sounds like the author managed to pull it off well. Thanks for the great review!
I am not going to lie, the plot certainly was complex! However, it really was worth the read and I never felt confused or lost. Thanks for commenting on my review! :tiphat:

Return to “Historical Fiction”