Official Review: Nanabush Tales and Other Stories

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Official Review: Nanabush Tales and Other Stories

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nanabush Tales and Other Stories" by Richard Nanawin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nanabush Tales and Other Stories: Winter Stories by Richard Nanawin. It is a historical fiction that captures how most animals got certain features in their existence. Nanabush was a character in the novel, and his experience with some animals transformed their features. From this book, readers would understand the author's tales of these animals and how they started manifesting special characteristics.

When I was a boy, my grandfather would call us together and share some thrilling folklores. This was what this book was all about; it was meant to fit moonlight moments with our grandchildren. These days, young people seem to be uninterested in folklore because we are now living in an age of technology. But this book seems to take us back to where we all started. Many of you that will read this book will remember your grandparents and childhood moments.

At some stage in the book, readers feel humor and surprise, as these stories embellished some animals with human features. I especially liked the character of Nanabush. His attitude towards other animals was quite dynamic. At some points, he acted as a helper, and at other points, he acted as a spiritual entity who could bless or curse.

Another positive aspect of this book that I loved was that the author included some pictures of these animals. This helped me to recognize the particular subject of discussion. Some of these animals included the Owls, Rabbits, and Turtles.

The only thing I considered negative in this book was that the author attached some strange names to these creatures. For example, he named "the Eagle" Migizi. These were unfamiliar names, and they slowed the pace of the novel for me. But I felt the author was trying to maintain consistency with the time setting of the fiction. In other words, these names reflected the historical background of these tales.

Apart from this issue, nothing else hindered my enjoyment of the book. For some readers, these stories might create confusion about the account of the creation of animals, as was recorded in the Bible.

Overall, this novel appeared edited professionally, as I found a couple of errors. But further editing would have eliminated these issues. Notwithstanding, I applaud the author for such an intriguing piece. Consequently, I'm giving this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This novel will suit those who enjoy historical fiction about animals. I also recommend it to young adults who are quickly captured by moonlight stories of animals and their origins. For me, I'm drawn to novels about animals with human features, and this book offered me that.

Nanabush Tales and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

It sounds like an interesting read. I like that you pointed out the nostalgic quality that it has, making the reader think about listening to a grandparent telling them folktales. Very nice!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book seems really interesting. Thanks for the detailed review.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

The summary brings to mind author author who is big on Myths. I did not have anyone to tell me stories on folklore when I was young. I would love to read about this.

Return to “Historical Fiction”