Official Review: The White Cockade by Mark James Miller

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Official Review: The White Cockade by Mark James Miller

Post by Huini Hellen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The White Cockade" by Mark James Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many stories about the struggle against colonial rule inspire our patriotic feelings towards our countries? How many people have lived to tell the story of each uprising with detailed descriptions of the battle zones? Who can creatively recreate America's quest for independence from British rule, with an emotional storyline like Mark James Miller, did in his book, The White Cockade?

Walter believes that Josiah's non-partisan attitude towards the British occupation of Boston will have to change one day. He is positive that one cannot remain a fence-sitter for long because the effects of the war and the desire to reclaim sovereignty far the fear of war. However, Josiah prays that such a day would not arrive because his interests in life stretch beyond enlisting in the resistance army. Contrary to his father's expectations, he is also not ready to take over his father's shipbuilding, which as fate would have it, places him between a rock and a hard place, when his father experiences a heart attack that leaves him weak and frail.

Hugo Chamberlain is now a Lieutenant of the King's Own Regiment. He arrives back in Boston from England after four years of service in the British army. The Hartford family is overjoyed at the prospect of meeting him again because he had been like a family member to them. Sadly, Hugo, Josiah's childhood best friend, seems to have changed for the worse. His indifferent attitude towards life and human dignity leaves Josiah with no doubt that this is a different Josiah from the one that he knew.

What I loved most about this book is the cohesion brought about by intertextuality. In exploring his themes of love, kinship, marriage and betrayal, among others, Miller used a story within a story and dialogue to advance the storyline. There is also the inclusion of songs at various sections of the plot that not only added variety to the book but also reduced the monotony of narration. Moreover, the descriptions of the soldiers singing battle songs enabled me to form mental images of the soldiers as they matched and boosted my enjoyment of the book because I happily sang along.

I intended to award this book a maximum rating of four. However, I found more than ten grammatical errors and typos, which informs my belief that this book was not submitted to a professional editor. I, therefore, sadly have to award it three out of four stars and recommend that it be taken through another round of editing. Save for the editing issue, there is nothing else that I liked least about this book. I recommend it to readers of history, especially people that enjoy stories about the resistance movements that helped their country to liberate themselves from colonial rule.

The White Cockade
View: on Bookshelves
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

This book is to awaken patriotism. Intertextuality helps with the story telling and it's great that the author wrote it like that.Thank you for a wonderful review!
Huini Hellen
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Thank you for the comment.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I hope the author can fix the errors you’ve mentioned to bringing the book up to its full potential. Great review
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I love books that awaken patriotism in citizens by telling them stories from the past. I'm definitely checking this out. Great review.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Booklover Becca wrote: 20 May 2021, 11:58 I hope the author can fix the errors you’ve mentioned to bringing the book up to its full potential. Great review
I appreciate your passing by to leave a comment.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

El_limitless wrote: 21 May 2021, 07:37 I love books that awaken patriotism in citizens by telling them stories from the past. I'm definitely checking this out. Great review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Love for one's country is important and easy when the citizens are treated right and cared for. Thanks for an interesting review.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 23 May 2021, 07:13 Love for one's country is important and easy when the citizens are treated right and cared for. Thanks for an interesting review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like an interesting book that can also educate the reader regarding history. Great job and thank you for your recommendation!
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

:no-spoil:
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 15:55 It seems like an interesting book that can also educate the reader regarding history. Great job and thank you for your recommendation!
I really appreciate your passing by to leave a comment.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the historical aspect of this book, and I am also interested in the songs! I share your feelings of enjoying the book so much that you want to give it the full rating, but you have to take away a point because of the grammar errors. So frustrating! Thanks for the amazing recommendation!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book seems very interesting. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I think this book will do well as a movie. I particularly love the inclusion of songs. Thanks for your recommendation.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I m not a history buff but surely enjoyed reading your review. I found it to be very informative. Thanks for a detailed review :)

Return to “Historical Fiction”