Official Review: Silver Bottle by Joan Spilman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Official Review: Silver Bottle by Joan Spilman

Post by smolbird »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silver Bottle" by Joan Spilman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Silver Bottle by Joan Spilman is a gripping story that revolves around three generations of women from West Virginia: Lorraine, her mother Carmen, and her maternal grandmother Lizzie. When they were children, Lorraine’s alcoholic mother left her and her brothers behind, leaving them in their grandmother’s care. Now a mother herself, Lorraine still finds herself haunted by her mother’s abandonment all those years ago. Where did she go? Why did she leave? Why didn’t she take them with her?

Her questions are finally answered when she receives a letter from her mother after twenty-five years of silence. In the letter, Carmen tells Lorraine about her childhood, her problems with the town and its people, her parents, her faith, her struggles, and her recovery. Not only that, Carmen wants to meet with her to ask for her forgiveness and asks her to bring with her the family heirloom she left behind: a silver bottle.

The book is mainly told from Lorraine’s perspective, but it also shifts to the perspectives of her mother, grandmother, and daughter. While I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, what I appreciated most was Spilman’s storytelling. She wrote in such a way that made me feel as though I was reading about the lives of real people instead of characters in a book. At no point in the book did I feel that the events were repetitive or tiring. In fact, I was so absorbed in the story that I didn’t even realize I had already been reading for hours.

Many scenes in this book made me emotional, and there were times when I cried out of sadness and anger. This book reminds you that people are not always what they seem. This was especially true when I read Carmen’s life story, where my initial perception of her as a deadbeat alcoholic changed into a person who only wants to break free from the strings that controlled her actions her whole life. My initial impression of Lorraine’s grandmother also changed drastically. While I believe that Lizzie was a good grandmother, I hated that she felt the need to control her child because she couldn’t control anything else in her life.

However, this book does have its faults. The book alternates between the past and the present, and the speaker changes as well. The switch makes it confusing for readers because there is no clear indication of the date and speaker. Additionally, the book also contains some typographical and formatting errors that affected my reading experience. Other than what I mentioned, there was nothing else that I disliked about the book.

Although I really enjoyed reading this book, I believe that it was not professionally edited due to the errors I found. Unfortunately, I would have to deduct a star from my overall rating because of this. Therefore, I give Silver Bottle a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to people who would like to read about an addict’s journey to recovery and their eventual reconciliation with their family. However, I don’t recommend this book to those who dislike heavy themes, as this book tackles issues such as depression, alcoholism, loss of faith, and mental health issues.

Silver Bottle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

This sounds like it could be a really touching read. I have learned to embrace the multiple perspective stories. It is harder when it is multiple perspective and timelines. Wowza. Great review!
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
smolbird
Currently Reading:

Post by smolbird »

Rwill0988 wrote: 18 May 2021, 14:11 This sounds like it could be a really touching read. I have learned to embrace the multiple perspective stories. It is harder when it is multiple perspective and timelines. Wowza. Great review!
It was a heartbreaking read for me, especially when I read about what Carmen went through. The multiple perspectives and timelines were a little confusing, though. Thank you for leaving a comment!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I can’t imagine hearing from the parent who abandonnés you after 25 years. I’m glad the author could convey that emotion so well. Thanks for the great review!
smolbird
Currently Reading:

Post by smolbird »

Booklover Becca wrote: 19 May 2021, 15:45 I can’t imagine hearing from the parent who abandonnés you after 25 years. I’m glad the author could convey that emotion so well. Thanks for the great review!
Although it came as a big shock to Lorraine, she did understand why Carmen did so. Thank you for leaving a comment!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Historical fiction is not my thing but this novel offers a strong depiction of characters with important issues that seems great if you like intense emotional stories. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

For such a deep book, glad to read that the negatives weren't many. The author seems to have done a good job relaying his material across. Thank you for a lovely review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

25 years is a long time. Their stories seem like not very ordinary events. It's good that it's a riveting read. Thank you for a delightful review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very emotional read. All those topics you've mentioned are really worth exploring. Thanks for a great review! :)
smolbird
Currently Reading:

Post by smolbird »

NetMassimo wrote: 21 May 2021, 01:41 Historical fiction is not my thing but this novel offers a strong depiction of characters with important issues that seems great if you like intense emotional stories. Thank you for your terrific review!
Before reading it, I also wasn't sure whether I would like it because I'm not too fond of historical fiction. To my surprise, it's really well-written so I greatly enjoyed it. Thank you for dropping by!
Mwatu wrote: 21 May 2021, 03:31 For such a deep book, glad to read that the negatives weren't many. The author seems to have done a good job relaying his material across. Thank you for a lovely review!

I agree, the author did a great job with this one. Thank you for leaving a comment!
Kavita Shah wrote: 21 May 2021, 03:47 25 years is a long time. Their stories seem like not very ordinary events. It's good that it's a riveting read. Thank you for a delightful review!
Unfortunately, their stories of abuse, abandonment, and addiction are common in our world. Thank you so much for dropping by!
smolbird
Currently Reading:

Post by smolbird »

Ellylion wrote: 21 May 2021, 05:30 Sounds like a very emotional read. All those topics you've mentioned are really worth exploring. Thanks for a great review! :)
It is! Thank you for leaving a comment, I appreciate it! :)
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the fact that the main characters in the book are members of some sort of female dynasty.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

The part of the three generations of women reminds me of the novel Kalayla. It sounds incredible, it speaks volumes of the book that it made you cry a little bit. Thanks for the wonderful review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

What an interesting book. It sounds emotional, heartbreaking, yet also informative. Thank you so much for the review. Glad to hear you enjoyed the book.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
brenthore
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brenthore »

i am very impressed with your detailed review, looking forward to read this book asap

Return to “Historical Fiction”