Official Review: The Burden in My Hand by Bryan Becze

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: The Burden in My Hand by Bryan Becze

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Burden in My Hand" by Bryan Becze.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are no words. The Burden in My Hands: A Marine’s Story is the first-person account of one Marine’s journey. Impressed and inspired by a picture of a Marine in uniform during his tender years, Bryan Becze, along with his best friend, Rick, joins the Marine Corps. Liberated from the burdens lurking in New Brunswick, he finds purpose and freedom as a part of the Few and the Proud. His assignments take him to East Timor and then to Iraq, where his unit engages enemy forces. His best friend is killed in action in Iraq, and Bryan is to bring him home to his final resting place. There, he is forced to face his past, confront his personal demons, and accept the loss of his very best friend.

I chose this book expecting a description of one man’s experiences in the Marine Corps. I expected to read about the difficult training, the assignments in other parts of the world, the bonds that form between Marines, and the symptoms of PTSD that some experience when they return. I was not prepared for the most emotional book I have ever read. In his book, author Bryan Becze writes that sometimes there are no words. He is right.

This is an emotionally charged story. The author mentions that real-life experiences are not what is portrayed in the movies. Most of us have seen films of soldiers in training or fighting in combat, but without an emotional connection to the characters, the message is not completely understood. In this book, characters are developed, the plot is engaging, and a connection is established early in the book. This is captured in the overall themes as well as in the details. A tired Marine is annoyed by the meaningless chatter on a bus. A Red Sox fan is harassed in New Jersey. A recruit is full of wisecracks.

The best part of this book is the depiction of events through fervent descriptions. The author uses many styles to draw the reader in and convey his experiences. Told through a series of flashbacks, the clever use of introspect invites the reader to make connections to the characters. There are several underlying themes throughout the book and a few subplots to give the story a comprehensive feel. There is a dusting of humor here as well; youthful pranks, the woes of budding romance, and the playful energy of servicemen are all part of this story.

There is absolutely nothing I disliked about this story. Without reservation, it deserves 4 out of 4 stars for its characterization and its captivating plot. Additionally, it is professionally edited, with chapters that are just the right length.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy personal stories of military servicemen and those who relish tales of heroism, sacrifice, and inspiration. Any veteran will appreciate the words of this author, who eloquently put into words what many of them must feel. There is some profanity and some descriptions of violence, so readers who are extremely sensitive should take this into account. Overall, this is a very moving book. Every person who reads this account will develop a deep and profound respect for the jobs that our servicemen are called to do. It also sheds light on what some are forced to deal with when they return from combat. Sometimes, there really are no words.

The Burden in My Hand
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is depicting so many twists and turns that I am really wishing to read the book.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that the author introduced an emotional component into the book and rose from the cliché of sweat - gunpowder - blood.
Emmanuel McDammy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emmanuel McDammy »

I've loved this book an I think it's great that the author introduced an emotional component into the book and rose from the cliché of sweat - gunpowder - blood.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad this book held so much emotion. It sounds like it went above and beyond the standard book about military service like, as you say, you expected to read. Wonderfully-written review!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

An unusual emotion filled story of a Marine corp. This seems to be different to the usual marine corps stories. Thank you for the detailed review!
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

After reading this book, Memorial Day has become even more sentimental. I will be thinking about this story during this holiday weekend. Thank you to all the servicemen who have given the ultimate sacrifice, like Rick, so that we can live in freedom. Thank you, Rick, for your sacrifice; thank you, Bryan, for telling his story.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I have always secretly admired the marines. They go through a hard training and are sent to excruciating missions. Unfortunately, some of them come back in a body bag. This book sounds like it is telling the story as it is, behind the uniforms. Thank you for introducing this book, I hope I’ll find the time to read it once!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Historical Fiction”