Official Review: Queen of the Jews

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Official Review: Queen of the Jews

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Queen of the Jews" by NL Herzenberg (pen name of Nina Kossman).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Queen of the Jews explores many themes, but the most striking is the sense of right and wrong. It highlights the internal conflict in a person's mind when they are without choice and have to go against their conscience.

From the moment Galia saw Alejandro, she felt an insane attraction to him. Perhaps it's his ferocious voice or his boyish face; she couldn't tell which but was hooked. His reaction to her didn't dissuade her. Instead, she always found reasons to talk to him, to be in his presence. Alejandro is at a crossroads. Despite his devotion to his people and the promise of the one thing he wanted more than any other thing, he couldn't go through with the professor's task. The more he tried to see the danger in her writing, the less it made sense. If only the "mastermind" knows her as he does, maybe he would change his mind. But time is running out, and his conviction is waning. He has to take action fast.

N.L. Herzenberg is the pen name of Nina Kossman, and she is a brilliant writer. She has a spectacular mastery of voice. Her narration of the same scenes from the perspectives of distinct characters, her poetic writing style, and the embedding of another story into the main plot is outstanding. It's no wonder she has a repertoire of literary work in several languages. Her writing enthralled me to the very end.

Beyond my country, my knowledge of world politics is sparse. I did not know Israel and Palestine have a long-standing conflict. So I admire how the author weaved an utterly engrossing tale around it without downplaying the feelings and struggle of both sides. Instead, she disclosed the grievances of both parties through the dialogues between Galia and Alejandro.

The book is fantastic. However, I have a quibble about some details. According to the records, Moriya's missing jewellery is a wedding gift from Ramah. Meanwhile, Ramah was already gone before her wedding.

Other than the quirk above, I love every facet of the book. The editing is professional; I sighted just one error. I don't think the minor issue I mentioned is worth losing a star over. So I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is fascinating, educational, and poetic.

It's a great fit for readers with an affinity for romance, historical and mystical elements, political intrigues, and trimmings of Greek mythology. There are details of violence and rape; some violent scenes are vivid, but the rape isn't. If any of these triggers you, sit this one out.

Queen of the Jews
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I appreciate a well-written work of historical fiction, and I like that this one presents realistic characters with moral dilemmas. I do, however, wonder about the title's relevance.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

Plot is quite intriguing. I would love to know the author's view on Palestine and Israel conflict because I love history besides fantasy. Thanks for the review!
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The book involves internal conflict, drama and politics. Seems to be interesting to read. I am looking forward to read it.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s rare to find an author who can describe scenes and people so well. I’m glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for the great review
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Adding this to the top of my reading list after reading this review, thanks! I love layered stories. I already sampled the book and already I can see you did not overstate the power of her writing.

Return to “Historical Fiction”