Featured Official Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush | August 2022 Book of the Month

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Featured Official Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush | August 2022 Book of the Month

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Wild World, written by Peter S. Rush, Steve Logan and his friends watch the news coverage of the killing of students at Kent State University. Protests are breaking out on college campuses around the country as military units stand poised to stop the violence. The older generation does not understand them, but they are determined to express their ideas about the war in Vietnam. Steve attends a meeting about reforming law enforcement and makes a decision to join the Providence Police Department. This decision surprises his friends, especially his girlfriend, Roxy, who is outspoken about her feelings on police brutality. What Steve finds as an insider in the police department rocks his relationships and tests his courage. He is left with decisive choices that could cost him everything.

The book has several underlying and poignant themes, and this is what drives the plot. I appreciate that the book is not dominated by a political agenda; people of all beliefs will enjoy the story. I did not feel compelled to adopt or reject the beliefs of any character. Most people have heard or read about the ideas of those who opposed the war in Vietnam. Many may or may not agree with them. These ideas were presented well in the story, with each character’s perspective described through dialogue and the setting. I can say that through some of these characters, I learned a thing or two about people living during this time that I had never before considered.

Without question, the best part of this book is the dynamic plot. The pacing and energy of the story were consistent throughout, and there were many plot twists and events that surprised me. I also found it to be refreshingly realistic and this was shown through the reflections and insights of the protagonist. Youthful mistakes are made. Reactions have consequences. Experiences shape perceptions. The flaws in the young characters brought a sense of realism that added depth and relevance to the plot. The book’s editing is commendable, as there were very few errors. For its engaging plot, its characterization, and its superb editing, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. There is a considerable amount of profanity and some descriptive sexual scenes, but this seems to reflect the youthful characters, the era, and the tone of the book.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy thought-provoking novels with a compelling plot. Those who enjoy reliving historical events will also enjoy the book. I would not recommend this book for children, as the profanity, violence, and sexual descriptions described above are not appropriate for this audience. Overall, I enjoyed the historical backdrop and reading about the social effects of decisions made by those in authority.

Wild World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

When you see the other side you seem to see things in new light, from another perspective. And I bet that Steve saw the war in Vietnam in new light too after joining the Police department. Thank you for another great review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Indeed sometimes the older generation is not able to understand the outbursts of the younger generation due to injustices perceived in some countries. Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Such an intense topic that’s so difficult to get right. I’m glad you enjoyed the book so much. Great review!
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

The gender gap has only been widening. But it's nice when the younger generation does take their their stand without any violence.
The books covers a serious topic and I'd like to see how it takes the issue.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I've been looking for books on the Vietnam war. I'm adding this to my TBR.
Artwell Jere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Artwell Jere »

It sounds interesting.What a brave guy,Steve was!Honestly,I have been looking books on the Vietnam war,and this one matched my interest!
Venus De Leon

Post by Venus De Leon »

This book guides us on our maturity state, that everything we do lead us to a conseuqences ..
Being a youth has a power to change and mold our future, depending on what we choose.i like the way the author emphasized the importance of being self righteous and matured in everything we do...it is also better to think the outcome of our actions for us not to regret in the future.ones decision leads to future outcomes either negative or positive.though this book explains in a bold way..but it gives lessons to youth, its also nice to youth read this.
My rate would be 3 over 4...
Margie Avenido
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Margie Avenido »

This book clearly presented the reality when there's graft and corruption in the country. It emanates from the peace and order system to secure sovereignty and abide equality in the county. Alongside, weak political will lies a weak system.
Chlarys Amican

Post by Chlarys Amican »

I like this one, and I think we must also take time to hear the other side, for me this books lesson is don't be blinded in one side we need to consider also the others saying in the situation. It will help the teen age students to be more care about what is happening to their surroundings.
Emmanuel Maritim

Post by Emmanuel Maritim »

Even though the review was short and somehow tough to get it right,I really enjoyed and learn alot , I read more than 3 times and it's so interesting ,I'm going to the deep full story
Paulette Reefer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulette-reefer.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Paulette Reefer »

Congratulations on posting an engaging review that gives a clear picture of what a reader will encounter when reading this book.
Magdalena Richter
Currently Reading: The Ever King
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magdalena-richter.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis

Post by Magdalena Richter »

I like the concept of this book. To incorporate different ideals and beliefs is not easy and I commend the author on writing an amazing book. To take the insights of both sides of the age gap is a great way to picture both sides of the picture for the reader. Great review, very informative and interesting.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

Quite a revelation that review. I have been there and escaped by the skin of my teeth from the pandemonium when the military was set on us pupils because we we protesting against teachers who were on strike, the state failed us and beat innocent harmless pupils as if they were instigators of violence.
Civilisation is not so normal any more, considering the ignorance shown by those we should have trusted our lives with like doctors in the COVID-19 (84) chaos; glad to hear the reader's perspective that such projects as the Vietnam war were futile and only profitable to war-mongers presidents and their companies that supply arms and not for a peace. It's a crime to claim your right to live....
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

It's great to read
historical fiction depicting Vietnam war. One would learn a lot from such stories and it would be thought-provoking as well.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Historical Fiction”