Official Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Official Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Wild World, written by Peter S. Rush, Steve Logan and his friends watch the news coverage of the killing of students at Kent State University. Protests are breaking out on college campuses around the country as military units stand poised to stop the violence. The older generation does not understand them, but they are determined to express their ideas about the war in Vietnam. Steve attends a meeting about reforming law enforcement and makes a decision to join the Providence Police Department. This decision surprises his friends, especially his girlfriend, Roxy, who is outspoken about her feelings on police brutality. What Steve finds as an insider in the police department rocks his relationships and tests his courage. He is left with decisive choices that could cost him everything.

The book has several underlying and poignant themes, and this is what drives the plot. I appreciate that the book is not dominated by a political agenda; people of all beliefs will enjoy the story. I did not feel compelled to adopt or reject the beliefs of any character. Most people have heard or read about the ideas of those who opposed the war in Vietnam. Many may or may not agree with them. These ideas were presented well in the story, with each character’s perspective described through dialogue and the setting. I can say that through some of these characters, I learned a thing or two about people living during this time that I had never before considered.

Without question, the best part of this book is the dynamic plot. The pacing and energy of the story were consistent throughout, and there were many plot twists and events that surprised me. I also found it to be refreshingly realistic and this was shown through the reflections and insights of the protagonist. Youthful mistakes are made. Reactions have consequences. Experiences shape perceptions. The flaws in the young characters brought a sense of realism that added depth and relevance to the plot. The book’s editing is commendable, as there were very few errors. For its engaging plot, its characterization, and its superb editing, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. There is a considerable amount of profanity and some descriptive sexual scenes, but this seems to reflect the youthful characters, the era, and the tone of the book.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy thought-provoking novels with a compelling plot. Those who enjoy reliving historical events will also enjoy the book. I would not recommend this book for children, as the profanity, violence, and sexual descriptions described above are not appropriate for this audience. Overall, I enjoyed the historical backdrop and reading about the social effects of decisions made by those in authority.

Wild World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Kavita Shah »

When you see the other side you seem to see things in new light, from another perspective. And I bet that Steve saw the war in Vietnam in new light too after joining the Police department. Thank you for another great review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Asteroid Apophis Lord of Chaos by John S. Pritchett

Post by Kennedy NC »

Indeed sometimes the older generation is not able to understand the outbursts of the younger generation due to injustices perceived in some countries. Great review.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

Such an intense topic that’s so difficult to get right. I’m glad you enjoyed the book so much. Great review!
Wildflowertheorist
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentine.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

The gender gap has only been widening. But it's nice when the younger generation does take their their stand without any violence.
The books covers a serious topic and I'd like to see how it takes the issue.

Return to “Historical Fiction”