Official Review: Landscape of a Marriage

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Official Review: Landscape of a Marriage

Post by SunVixen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Landscape of a Marriage" by Gail Ward Olmsted.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Landscape of a Marriage by Gail Ward Olmsted has a very proper title. After all, this book tells about the life of Mary Perkins Olmsted, the wife of the great landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Their marriage was somewhat unusual. Frederick Law Olmsted married his brother's widow to help her and her three young children survive. Thanks to this marriage, they received a new home and financial stability.

This book is faultlessly edited. There are no typos or errors in it. Moreover, the novel is written in excellent literary language. It is the first person narration. In addition, the author remembers that her book’s main protagonist lives in the 19th century. Landscape of a Marriage occasionally contains old words and phrases that give this novel its own vintage charm. It seems that you are actually reading the authentic letters or diaries of Mary Olmsted.

As the author mentions, she got reliable information about Mary Olmsted from numerous biographies of her famous husband, Frederick Olmsted. It is also part of the author's own family history. She is married to a descendant of one of the relatives of Frederick and Mary Olmsted.

The writing of a fiction novel dedicated to the life of a historical person imposes certain restrictions on the author. Indeed, nothing can happen to the character in the book that hasn’t happened to him or her in real life. Therefore, the author could not make Mary Olmsted a participant in exciting adventures or stormy dramas. Instead, she focused on psychologically accurate portrayal of the protagonist's behavior and experiences during those events that really happened in her long life.

Thus, Mary Olmsted appears on the pages of the book as a kind, gentle and at the same time practical and intelligent woman. Her renowned husband looks the same. They had to marry because of life circumstances, not mutual affection. Nevertheless, they both try to treat each other with attention and care, as it should be for a real spouse. As a result, as you read the novel, you involuntarily begin to sympathize with their efforts to create a real family and find happiness.

The obvious advantage of Landscape of a Marriage is the author's great attention to historical detail. She very carefully describes the realities of the 19th century, be it social relationships, clothing or food. It immediately becomes clear that Gail Ward Olmsted has a good understanding of the era during which her novel takes place.

As for any shortcomings, they are almost impossible to find in Landscape of a Marriage. Therefore, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It can be a real gift for fans of family sagas, psychological prose and historical novels.

Landscape of a Marriage
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Landscape of marriage sounds like a merry story where we read about Mary and Fredrick. Thanks for the good review!
Maria 29
Currently Reading: Words from above
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-29.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Maria 29 »

Reading this review, I found out new pieces of information, as I didn't know anything about Frederick Olmsted. The book seems very interesting, I think it pictures another perspective about marriage. Thank you for the review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m intrigued since it’s written about a real person. I love to read more. Thanks for the great review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

This is my first encounter with the story of the Olmsteds. Their descendant-in-law seems to do a good job in sharing more about them. Thank you for this review!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

Kavita Shah wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 05:04 Landscape of marriage sounds like a merry story where we read about Mary and Fredrick. Thanks for the good review!

This story is only partly merry. Since this book is based on real events, it has a little bit of everything, just like in real life.

Thank you for stopping and reading my review.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

Maria 29 wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 15:57 Reading this review, I found out new pieces of information, as I didn't know anything about Frederick Olmsted. The book seems very interesting, I think it pictures another perspective about marriage. Thank you for the review!
I didn't know anything about him either. However, it is a very interesting book.

SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

Booklover Becca wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 08:21 I’m intrigued since it’s written about a real person. I love to read more. Thanks for the great review!
Yes, Mary was a real person. Thank you for reading my review!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

Mwatu wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 06:27 This is my first encounter with the story of the Olmsteds. Their descendant-in-law seems to do a good job in sharing more about them. Thank you for this review!
She really did a great work. I think it is very difficult to write historical novels. It is necessary to study well the time period in which the novel takes place, etc.

Thank you for stopping and reading my review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

SunVixen wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 06:34
Kavita Shah wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 05:04 Landscape of marriage sounds like a merry story where we read about Mary and Fredrick. Thanks for the good review!

This story is only partly merry. Since this book is based on real events, it has a little bit of everything, just like in real life.

Thank you for correcting that. Part merry book based on true events, that's good.
Mark Smarter
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mark Smarter »

In approach of such a great review with the interesting story of marriage on a landscape a gift o many to know
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

Mark Smarter wrote: 04 May 2021, 02:56 In approach of such a great review with the interesting story of marriage on a landscape a gift o many to know
Thank you for stopping and reading this review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”