Official Review: The Boston Cowgirl by Billy Edd Wheeler

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: The Boston Cowgirl by Billy Edd Wheeler

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boston Cowgirl" by Billy Edd Wheeler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Boston Cowgirl by Billy Edd Wheeler is a fictional story set in south-eastern America during the late 19th century. The author focuses on a young teenage girl called Alexandra, who has grown up in a rich home in Boston. The writer’s tone is casual, simple, and informal, taking the reader back to the time of cowboys in the US.

Alexandra is a girl born to one of the richest businessmen in America at the time, a man named Belmont, who owns his own train and is involved in the railroad business. Alexandra and her mother are to go on a trip on her father’s train, away from the comfort of their home in Boston. Alexandra is sad and grumpy about the trip, especially given that she will be away from the house servant, a kind black woman named Miss Annie, who understands her and advises her correctly. Alexandra goes on the train, and she wants to enter the men’s lounge. However, she is not permitted by the doorkeeper, Mr. Steele. So, after the train stops at the station, she buys some cowboy clothes and disguises herself into a young man. How will this adventure end? Will her plot be discovered?

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, as it had so many high-quality features. To begin with, it was satisfactorily edited since I only noticed a few errors in the text. Moreover, the plot was highly interesting and exciting because there were constantly numerous plot twists and cliffhangers, which added suspense to the story. I liked the fact that the writer employed dialogue and language in an expert manner to create an atmosphere that matched the late 19th century. Furthermore, there were some short poems in the form of songs in the text, which displayed the author’s creativity and imagination. What I liked most about this book was that the reader is not confused by the plot development because the author harmonizes the story using a logical and coherent structure to base his novel. With all this in mind, I found nothing to dislike in the text.

This book will be liked most by readers who like novels about cowboys set in the wild American desert. Readers who want to learn more about the history of the US during the 19th century may find this novel both fun and interesting to read. This book should not be read by young people since there are plenty of profane words in the story.

In summary, this book deserves a perfect score of 4 out of 4. This is because it was well edited, harmonically organized, creative, and suspenseful.

The Boston Cowgirl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

:D Alexandra turned cowboy, that's a way to get where you want to.
Thanks for the review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Interesting storyline. I'd really love to know how Alexandra's switch to a cowboy turned out in the end.

Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I love the sound of this plot. You’ve given a very clear and concise review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Always lovely to read about people who challenge the status quo. Alexandra sounds amazing. Thank you for this review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”