Official Review: Labyrinth of the Wind by Madhav Misra

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Labyrinth of the Wind by Madhav Misra

Post by OB Brian »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Labyrinth of the Wind" by Madhav Misra.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The atmosphere in Iran in 1978 was far from cordial. With the government and religion at loggerheads over the mass shooting of demonstrators in Qom, the massacre in Tabriz, and other killings that the state instigated, the country was tense, especially Tehran, the capital city. This dispute would lead to the ousting of the Shah in January of 1979, ending the reign of the Pahlavi dynasty. Anyway, Labyrinth of the Wind by Madhav Misra narrates the story of Ayan Pathak as an expatriate amid this unrest.

Ayan, the chief financial officer at Iran Power, carries on with his life as usual. Well, almost usual considering he witnesses as the government kills a young civilian by the road on his way to work, and Gaby, his girlfriend, returns home to Germany. However, when his boss instructs him to help the government with the illegal acquisition of uranium to facilitate the development of nuclear weapons, Ayan knows he is trapped. Participation in this deal promises him the financial freedom that will enable him to be with Gaby─if he does not end up in jail first. However, it violates treaties Iran signed regarding nuclear power, and the fact that he knows about it makes him a loose end should he refuse to participate. With no chance of going back, and as Tehran’s mood swings become less and less predictable, Ayan must navigate the situation carefully if he wishes to breathe any more oxygen.

In a word, this book is exhilarating. The author skilfully blends corruption and treachery with historical events to create a beautiful work of fiction that will leave you furious, frightened, relieved, and blissful. The addition of just the right dosage of romance and fistfights here and there makes this narration a mesmeric roller coaster ride. However, it also makes the read unsuitable for a younger audience and readers who do not appreciate adult content and violence.

Misra vividly describes places, events, and characters, enabling readers to feel one with the story. As the tale unfolded, I found myself angry at the protagonist in one instance and patting him on the back (in my head, of course) in another for the choices he makes. Whichever it was, I remained glued to the novel, an aspect I loved most about this title.

Nonetheless, Labyrinth of the Wind was not without flaws. It contains a few grammatical and typographical errors that speak ill of the book. The mistakes were trivial and did not hamper my reading. Nevertheless, they need to be rectified; hence, I recommend another round of editing.

That said, I gladly award this work a rating of four out of four stars. The faults mentioned above have not warranted a penalty since they were few and barely noticeable. I recommend this novel to young adults and a mature audience, especially lovers of historical fiction. Labyrinth of the Wind is a novel you do not want to miss.

Labyrinth of the Wind
View: on Bookshelves
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Expatriate amidst an unrest, and given such a tough job by his boss, It'll be interesting to see how he turns out.

Great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Wonderful review! It's trouble when you're stuck in situations where government and illegal stuff is involved.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Civic unrest within a country seems to be something never really written much about. Great review.
teacupstorm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by teacupstorm »

Good job with your review. It sounds like you really enjoyed it and your review is very eloquent, it makes me want to read it. It sounds like a very detailed and interesting novel.
Maria 29
Currently Reading: Words from above
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-29.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Maria 29 »

Awesome written review! I highly appreciate it, even though I am not a fan of history:)
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Wow, what an interesting topic to build a narrative on! I’m very excited to add this book to my must read pile. Thanks for the great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Congratulations to the author on a great story and plot dynamics that can serve as an example for everyone.
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

GoodLuck ES wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 01:13 Expatriate amidst an unrest, and given such a tough job by his boss, It'll be interesting to see how he turns out.

Great review.
Thanks for the comment
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

Booklover Becca wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 08:17 Wow, what an interesting topic to build a narrative on! I’m very excited to add this book to my must read pile. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for your comment Becca. You won't be disappointed.
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

Maria 29 wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 16:02 Awesome written review! I highly appreciate it, even though I am not a fan of history:)
You just made me smile. Thank you.
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

teacupstorm wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:28 Good job with your review. It sounds like you really enjoyed it and your review is very eloquent, it makes me want to read it. It sounds like a very detailed and interesting novel.
It is a captivating story. Enjoyment is guaranteed. Thanks for the comment.
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

Kavita Shah wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 03:04 Wonderful review! It's trouble when you're stuck in situations where government and illegal stuff is involved.
Thank you
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

Kennedy NC wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 03:18 Civic unrest within a country seems to be something never really written much about. Great review.
Thanks for the comment
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

markodim721 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 13:29 Congratulations to the author on a great story and plot dynamics that can serve as an example for everyone.
Indeed.

Return to “Historical Fiction”