Official Review: Pilon and the Holy Grail by Eric R. Pilon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jachike Samuelson
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: The Ballad of the Blacksmith's Son by Rick Taylor

Official Review: Pilon and the Holy Grail by Eric R. Pilon

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pilon and the Holy Grail" by Eric R. Pilon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This story about the birth of a descendant of Christ piqued my interest and came across to me as daring. Beyond that, it was also enlightening and shone the light on an unending ancestry. Pilon and the Holy Grail, a fascinating book by Eric R. Pilon, illuminates the actions of those who supported Christ. It starts with Pilon and his dog, who find themselves at the venue of the Last Supper from the image of Da Vinci's painting in a cooking show. He would become known as Pilon the baker in this century eons before the twenty-first century.

Upon arriving at the venue of the Last Supper, with Jesus, his disciples, and Mary Magdalene in attendance, Pilon wastes no time in trying to procure evidence of the existence of Christ. His efforts lead to the origins of the relics known as the Holy Grail. After its existence is known, it's believed that the Holy Grail can provide everlasting life and healing, and consequently, it is sought after. The order known as the Knight Guardians is formed and entrusted with the task of guarding the relics, which include the pilon and the chalice. This knightly responsibility is passed down for generations, even to King Arthur and his knights. Eventually, it is passed on to the four Knight brothers: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. These brothers would eventually cross paths with the descendants of Christ. What challenges did the brothers face while performing their duties? What happened with the relics in their protection? There's a lot more to this intriguing story, to say the least.

This book was written in the first and third-person narrative. The first thing I noticed in this book was that the author named one of the characters in the book—Pilon the baker—after himself. While it didn't really add anything to the story, I felt it was a nice touch. Eric wove a tale of unending love, faith, and dedication to Christ. It was interesting to see how after the death of Christ, the Holy Grail was protected for generations on end, even after doubts from different individuals, including the Fisher King and the knights of Camelot. I also loved the author's keen attention to minute details, especially regarding Pilon's dog and the companionship it provided him. It was the best thing about this book for me.

I also liked how the author was able to link the events of the Bible to this well-woven controversial tale. He told of the birth of a child by Mary Magdalene while using the story of her wiping the feet of Jesus at the Last Supper to bring to light a relationship between the two of them. He also linked the Knight brothers and their family to the stories of the biblical characters who bore the same names. Although the methods in each era differed, these brothers also fervently spread the gospel of Christ.

I found nothing to dislike about this story. Although I found a couple of grammatical errors in the book, there weren't enough of them to justify a lack of professional editing. Owing to the excitement in this tale and the profound themes of faith, love, and dedication, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to religious individuals who want to have a deeper understanding of faith and love and people—religious or otherwise—who are interested in controversial tales.

Pilon and the Holy Grail
View: on Bookshelves
teacherjh
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by teacherjh »

I love books that bring Bible stories to life. It's good to get a different perspective and a deeper understanding.
lumenchristi
2021 Reading Goal: 2
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lumenchristi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lumenchristi »

What grabbed my attention is how the book weave into action biblical stories. I am already imagining the values the content will offer me. Thanks so much for this review.
kridz21
Currently Reading: Morning Star
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kridz21.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by kridz21 »

This sounds very intriguing, it never occurred to me what would happen in a scenario like this. I love how the author included Pilon and the dog's relationship with each other, it adds a little emotional aspect to the story. Great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”