Official Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by dragonet07 »

This book seems like an interesting read, and like with all historical fiction, I’m curious to see how accurate the author got the historical aspects. While I think it might be more for Christian readers, I also think that anyone interested in this time period, location, and culture would want to read this book, especially if they’re drawn to a woman’s story from that time period. A story of forgiveness rather than revenge is refreshing as well. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
The quiet book lover
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-quiet-book-lover.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef

Post by The quiet book lover »

This book had me at the first few pages.
Looking forward to finishing it, and really hoping that the author doesn’t disappoint.
Thanks for the review!
Side note on the sample: were bridesmaids really called bridesmaids back then, and did they walk out before the bride like they do now? Must go look it up...
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Thank you for sharing your review with us. As I am not a big fan of historical fiction, I think I am going to pass on this novel.
Anjali Patil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-patil.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Anjali Patil »

It seems like a good book as all those Rome-based stories are also interesting. But I am not the kind of reader who reads historical stories, that's because I don't quite understand it. The review was insightful and it gave a clear idea of what the book was about. Great work on the review.
Rosefarid
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Rosefarid »

Normally if life gives us pain as human, will choose revenge or to forgive who cause pain...
Its the history from Rome, When Amora and Leo daughter killed she enters Christianity choosing forgiveness while Leo choose revenge... Will she really forgive the killer..? I'm curious about her journey too.. Detailed review with the perfect rating..Author Grant Hallstrom used Christianity in best way..
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

Amora and Leo really passed through a difficult time. I'm happy she was introduced to Christianity and I just hope that she and her husband were able to find the murderer of their daughter. I also hope they both were able to make up. Congrats on being the BOTD.
hellen gibson 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellen-gibson-1.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by hellen gibson 1 »

This is an interesting read. The book sounds sensitive to Christian readers. Thank you for your review.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

This is a perfect romance novel for young people at large. Perfectly written. Congratulations on the book of the day.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Reading about the persecution of Christian's in Rome in the Greco-Roman era will be quite enlightening. I'll check this out. Great review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

To be honest forgiveness in this situation wil be quite difficult. I'd love to read this book to find out how Amara and Leo handled the situation. Thanks for an interesting review.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Christianity in Roman Times sounds like a heavy topic to tackle. I am interested in seeing how Amora reconciles her high position in society and her new beliefs. Thank you for the review.
Mansi Dupte
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mansi Dupte »

I usually don't read historical fiction. But this book seems interesting because it's a love story which I would love to explore. I'll definitely give it a try. The review is informative and useful :)
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

The theme of forgiveness made this book stand out. I, as a person, got drawn to the book because of it. Kudos to the reviewer for job well done.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

This book seems amazing. Though it's a fiction book it portrays points of what has happened to christians over time. Thanks for the great reviews.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

This book is intense and thought provoking. It must have been very hard for Amora to deal with her daughter’s death. I can’t wait to read and find out who killed Amora’s daughter. Amazing review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”