Official Review: The Weight of Salt by Sandra Montanino

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: The Family Tree
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: The Weight of Salt by Sandra Montanino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Weight of Salt by Sandra Montanino

Post by Maria Esposito »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Weight of Salt" by Sandra Montanino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fifteen-year-old Angelina Pirrello comes from a family of Sicilian immigrants who settled in Florida in the early years of the 1900s. When her beloved mother succumbs to childbirth complications, she is left alone to care for her younger siblings and help her father Domenico, a stubborn man who is deeply rooted in Sicilian traditions. Domenico came to America with no money and worked hard to open a successful Italian grocery store. Much like her father, Angelina has a strong, determined, and stubborn personality. A lover of learning and books, Angelina has to comply with Domenico’s demands to leave school and join her uncle Pasquale as a worker in a cigar factory. Angelina reluctantly submits to her father, but when he starts arranging her marriage, she understands that she needs to stand up for herself and her freedom.

The Weight of Salt by Sandra Montanino is a poignant novel that I savored slowly, following Angelina’s growth page after page. As a Southern Italian, I deeply appreciated the author’s nuanced accounts of Sicilian culture. The book perfectly captures its contradictions: it can embrace you with warmth and suffocate you with control, reward you with comfort and frustrate you with impossible expectations. Sicilian culture is almost a character in itself as its strong influence on the characters’ lives becomes palpable. The ghosts of the Old Country come back to haunt Domenico and bring memories of hunger and poverty. Angelina is constantly torn between her love for her father and his attachment to traditions and her own aspirations of freedom and independence. In this novel, Sandra Montanino perfectly captures the gray area of living in America while carrying the crushing weight of the expectations imposed by Sicilian culture.

The character development in this book is exceptional. The author makes it easy for the reader to feel empathy toward the characters and understand their decisions. I found it natural to empathize with Angelina and the exhausting frustration she felt about dealing with a controlling Sicilian father. However, I also understood Domenico and his determination to do everything it takes to spare his daughter from experiencing the poverty and humiliations he had to face. My favorite character is Pasquale, Domenico’s brother. I loved how the author mixed his funny jokes, broken English, and the way he looks out for Angelina to create a tender-hearted and wholesome character. Pasquale is also the source of precious gems of advice rooted in Sicilian wisdom:
“Bricks is strong, Angelina, better than gold. Bricks gonna last one hundred years. Gold, she’s too soft, and everybody wanna steal it. Nobody gonna steal a brick.”
I only came across a handful of minor, non-distracting errors. The Weight of Salt is professionally edited and free of profanity. The author sprinkles Italian phrases here and there, but she always provides adequate context so that nonspeakers can easily understand them.

There is absolutely nothing in The Weight of Salt that I disliked. It is an exquisitely-written story with well-rounded characters that will keep readers glued to its pages from start to finish. I rate this book four out of four stars. I recommend it to fiction lovers, and especially to readers who enjoy stories that are centered on the experiences of immigrants.

The Weight of Salt
View: on Bookshelves
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by RayRuff »

Thank you for writing this review. It highlights the important aspects of the book. I like how you recommended it to people who enjoy reading about the experiences of an immigrant. I am sure there are many people who would enjoy that.
“Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.”― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARÄŚEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I bet, with your Italian roots, that reading this book was a personal experience. I enjoyed reading your review as your transmitted perfectly how the book made you feel.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

What a wonderful book that brings Italy in your home! Thank you for this lovely review and the recommendation! I am going to prepare some pasta right now!
Hhannahh
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Hhannahh »

This is just my kind of book, and your review on it is just remarkable.
First of all, I like the cover and title of this book, then I like the plot, and above all, the characters. I also like this themes portrayed in this book. I wanna see this book from my non-Italian perspective.
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Krishnajee100 »

Thank you for such a great review. This book sounds really good. Almost everyone, once in life, comes across such situation of choosing one between family and ownself. Readers can relate to this story. Thank you again :).

Return to “Historical Fiction”