Official Review: Who the Heck is Benny Leck? by Len J. Beck

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: Who the Heck is Benny Leck? by Len J. Beck

Official Review: Who the Heck is Benny Leck? by Len J. Beck

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who the Heck is Benny Leck?" by Len J. Beck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a president without a recognizable face. Imagine seeing a different face every time you turn on the news. The only sure thing is that Benny Leck is the people's president. But there is more to him than meets the eye. Len J. Beck helps us to unravel the mystery surrounding Benny Leck.

Benjamin J. Leck seems to have everything figured out. His love for humanity shines through in every encounter he has with the people he meets. These encounters not only change their lives but leave unique impressions on them because they get to meet different versions of Benjamin Leck. He lives a life of fulfilled dreams and perfect coincidences. How long will this luck last? In the shadows lurk those who feel threatened by his New Age ideas and drive for change. The twists and turns of events are guaranteed to keep the reader on edge.

From the title of this book, I expected it to be a mystery. However, it surprised me with the way it flowed without much conflict. It drew me in with the most straightforward illustrations of events and made me eager to know who Benny Leck really was. The characters, as they tell their engaging stories, were real and relatable. This was a plus to the author, whose ability to create images with words made the story vivid and unforgettable.

I especially loved the perfect blend of facts and fiction. The late-night show scene was as realistic as it could be. The president's speeches had me nodding in agreement at the logic, and his charisma shined through the pages. The arrangement of the chapters and the flow between the present and the past were seamless. It was a beautiful eulogy that ended in a climax. The last two pages were used for the music reference, which gave credit to all the composers of the songs mentioned in the book. All these made the book both factual and fictional — an unconventional combination.

Throughout the book, I noticed that certain words were in bold prints, and some were underlined. This seemed like a technique by the author to emphasize those words. Although this wasn't a major distraction, it just jumped out at me during the read.

The only issue I had with this book was the plethora of typographical errors I found in it. I reckoned the editors didn't do a thorough job. Hence, I would recommend another round of professional editing to take care of these errors.

Who the Heck is Benny Leck? is a joy to read; it is the kind of book that doesn't bore the reader out. It educates and gives hope. I recommend this book to readers who love realistic fiction that does not stray from the ordinary but yet has enough to keep you guessing. I rate it a 3 out of 4. It's a shame that I'm not giving this book a perfect rating due to the number of errors.

Who the Heck is Benny Leck?
View: on Bookshelves
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Sounds like a good read . It’s unfortunate that there were so many errors
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The book title is funny and draws attention. And thanks to your review it becomes clear what it is about. Great job.
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Drianie »

What an interesting premise. I like that this book has a realistic feel with an unpredictable edge that will keep readers entertained. I hope the author will revise the errors as the book clearly deserves a perfect rating. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”