Official Review: Brandy Ballad of a Pirate Princess

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Official Review: Brandy Ballad of a Pirate Princess

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brandy Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson is about a girl raised by pirates. Brandy’s mother is the hot-tempered Scarlet Mistress, and her father is Captain Eric Erasmus, better known as “The Plague.” Both of Brandy’s parents have been pirates since before her birth on the Red Witch 15 years ago. First mate, Don Lomoche, kills Captain Erasmus after notifying Admiral Bennets of the Navy Fleet who the Scarlet Mistress is. Her mother’s real name was Katrina Mooney, who had killed her master after being sold into slavery when she was 13-years-old. Her master was King George’s cousin, and she has been on the run from execution ever since. Admiral Bennets prepares to hang her onboard her ship, but before he can, she curses the crew by telling them only her heir can release them from the Red Witch curse, flings herself overboard, and hangs herself. Brandy and her Uncle Skinner disguise themselves to blend in with the prisoners below deck and taken to Jamaica as slaves. Before her death, Brandy’s mother tells her she has two choices: she can either reclaim Red Witch or live life on land. Admiral Bennets gives Don Lomoche ownership of the Red Witch. What life does Bandy choose? Does she rightfully take back the Red Witch?

I like many things about this book. Firstly, the author uses subheadings that helped me understand the distance traveled between locations. Secondly, the author provides vivid descriptions of the events on the Caribbean islands and the sea. I could easily imagine the pirate battles on the ships, the slaves fleeing for safety, and ships cresting huge waves during hurricanes. Thirdly, the book was full of suspense and kept me guessing as to how it would end. Finally, there are a few lessons to learn in this book. Some of my favorites are that free men work harder when they earn something they can appreciate and enjoy, love is more powerful than hate, and the reality of fate is that it can be both kind and cruel.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. I had to appreciate that pirates do not know how to speak or think using correct grammar. I continually had to stop myself from wanting to count errors that were not actual errors. When incorrect grammar was not in dialogue, I had to pay close attention to whom the thought processes belonged. This book is fast-paced and action-packed, with battles and love mingled throughout the plot.

The author has done a great job writing this book and keeping the plot flowing from page to page. The book appears to have been edited by a professional editor, as I only found two small errors in the entire book. For these reasons, I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction about pirates. There are some borderline profanity and mild sexual content, but it is appropriate for teenagers and older. The gory battle scenes and slavery conditions may make sensitive readers uncomfortable. I will caution atheists that there is a small amount of religious content involving prayers and discussion of the Bible, but it probably will not be offensive to most readers.

Brandy Ballad of a Pirate Princes
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
serenasiew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenasiew.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by serenasiew »

Comprehensive review. It must have taken patience to understand the grammatically-lacking pirates. Alas, life on land is banal. The Red Witch seems exponentially preferable. But I suppose that is at the heart of every pirate's dilemma.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Wow! I was just telling a friend of mine that there arent many pirate books out there. This sounds extremely entertaining. I especially liked how you mentioned that there are subheadings to help the reader and that it was action-packed.
Thank you for such a great review! I will have to add this book to my TBR.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Such a great review about an apparently great book!
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

This seems like an interesting take on the pirate genre. It reminds me almost of a prince/princess having to reclaim their throne in a way. Thanks for the detailed review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I have toad it that this was a good review. But pirate stuff doesn’t interest me . I will skip this one for now
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Pirates and curses usually make for interesting books. I like the idea of being raised on a pirate ship. I will have to check this one out. Thanks for your review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

This is a really good review. And I would like to know Bandy's choice. The plot of this book is very interesting :).
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

I love this review very much. This would be the first book I'd encounter on pirates. I like that Brandy is left with a choice rather than a must-be-fulfilled directive. And seeing that there can be lessons to learn makes it all the more interesting.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

What a great review. This sounds exciting. I wonder what the century is depicted in this book? I am excited to read this. Thanks for your review.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

A book on piracy that blends romanticism is so attractive. Thank you for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

This sounds like an interesting book for readers of historical fiction. Great review!
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A pirate story that unfolds in the Caribbean sea. It seems to have action, battles, suspense, and emotions. Also, it leaves lessons to learn. It looks entertaining.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

The storyline of this book sounds really interesting. I would put in the category undecided. I think I will make a final decision after reading the sample. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I'm not much of a fan of pirate novels, but the author has an exceptional writing style, so I am certain that this is a terrific book. The first chapter will suck in even the most jaded of readers. I think those who enjoy the genre will be very pleased. Congratulations on receiving BOTD honors.

Return to “Historical Fiction”