Official Review: Blackberry Road by Jodi Lea Stewart

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Ruby by Cathy Coburn

Official Review: Blackberry Road by Jodi Lea Stewart

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blackberry Road" by Jodi Lea Stewart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life is not easy as a sharecropper. Everyone in the family is expected to pitch in. Families are large and money is short. It does not sound like an exciting life, but in Blackberry Road by Jodi Leah Stewart, the routine suddenly becomes a mystery. Biddy is thirteen years old and one of eleven children in the family. When a member of the community is murdered, Biddy sets out on a mission to find the killer.

This book took me back to my younger years. I grew up in a large family on a farm. I saw many similarities in the lifestyle of the book characters and my own family. This story was in the 1930’s when money was tight. The country had just gone through the Great Depression. Like most families, there was not a lot of excess anything. Kids wore hand-me-down clothes, and work was expected from each family member. The lead character of the book, Biddy, was a young girl. She wore coveralls and was expected to do her chores every day. Her character showed a toughness resulting from having lots of brothers. She also seemed trustworthy and honest. She kept her sibling’s secrets. She was a good-hearted person. She tried not to cuss even though the words were on her mind. She seemed to like school and she also liked exploring in the woods around their home. I could see a bit of my thirteen-year-old self in Biddy.

The story was written through the eyes of Biddy. The book is well written, although it took me a few chapters to get into the dialect and immerse myself in the book. There were some prejudices in the book. The sharecropper families were considered lesser than others in the community. The blacks were considered uneducated and unworthy. However, there was nothing I really disliked in the story. I thought the book flowed well. The reader could easily picture the house, the woods, and the family because they were all described in depth.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are a few errors in the book, but because of the dialect used, the errors did not take away from the flow or context of the book. The book was well written and kept the reader engaged. The mystery around the death of the beloved schoolteacher was surrounded by many twists and turns that made the book exciting. It was difficult to predict the ending, so the reader remained engaged.

The book seems to be written for young adults, but adults will enjoy the book as well. There is some cussing in the book, but it seemed appropriate for the story. There were no sexual scenes. Any young adult who enjoys a mystery will probably enjoy this book.

Blackberry Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks for your review. This seems to be a good book to dive into . Blackberry Road seems like an interesting place . I’d like to read more about Biddy and how he handles these things that are happening.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

The part where a member of a community was murdered and Biddy set out to find the killer caught my attention. I'm interested in reading this book
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

It is crazy to think how much has changed from 1930s to now in 2021. Your review got me thinking about that. Thanks for that!
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 10:25 Thanks for your review. This seems to be a good book to dive into . Blackberry Road seems like an interesting place . I’d like to read more about Biddy and how he handles these things that are happening.
It was a fun book to read. Biddy definitely views the world through older eyes than most 13 year-olds. I hope you enjoy this book.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Dartemis wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 20:03 It is crazy to think how much has changed from 1930s to now in 2021. Your review got me thinking about that. Thanks for that!
Life has definitely changed, but I grew up in the 1960's and my life wasn't really that different from the story as far as lifestyle. The way we treat one another and our prejudices hasn't really changed at all in many cases. Thanks for taking time to read my review.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

ikechukwuamarachi+55 wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 16:16 The part where a member of a community was murdered and Biddy set out to find the killer caught my attention. I'm interested in reading this book
I hope you enjoy the read. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Historical Fiction”