Official Review: Brendan Kinneen by John Worth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Re: Official Review: Brendan Kinneen by John Worth

Post by B Sheila Holt »

You have given us a very detailed and super interesting review of this heavy themed book. I’m personally not in to this type of book, but after reading a few of the sample pages and seeing how interesting you have made it sound, I may have to give it a try later on. Great review.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I love that the characters and story were interesting. I can't wait to read about the Irish rebellion against British. This book seems quite educational. Great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

The way the book tackles the adverse effects of prisoners of war is commendable and worth the read.congrats BOTD.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I like historical fiction and rebellion stories as well. However, I've never read one from the perspective of a missionary. I'll like to check this book out.
Great review.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like an exciting historical fiction novel. I appreciate that it focuses on love and loyalty. Congrats on the book of the day. Great review.
Maimubee
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maimubee.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Maimubee »

In a historic period like 1798, on can only imagine the kind of hardship they would have been made to deal with. A naive seminarian would most likely know next to nothing about warfare and most battles. This book is sure to keep one glued to the pages as one intrigues unfolds into another. Well done!!! Congrats for being BOTD.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I love reading historical fiction, and this here sounds interesting. I'd love to check it out. Great review.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Brendan Kinneen by John Worth is a historical fiction novel that opens a window into the "Irish Rebellion" in 1798 against British rule in the land and the aftermath of this moment in history on the Irish.

The story primarily revolves around Brendan Kinneen, an Irish seminarian who is on his journey to spiritual enlightenment. However, he realizes that this is not his path and leaves the seminary. He spends his time working as a hedgerow teacher and wandering through Ireland with his friend, James Molloy. Unfortunately, they are both beaten up mercilessly by British soldiers, and Molloy is killed. Brendan is nursed to health by Tinkers and joins the rebels fighting against the soldiers that take the law into their hands by committing atrocities. Eventually, Brendan joins a patriotic uprising that failed, and he is captured and taken aboard a convict ship to a British colony in New South Wales, Australia, where most Irish prisoners are taken. The rest of the story details his harsh experiences and how he survives through this period.

The story is written from the third-person perspective, but the focus shifts from Brendan, occasionally, to other characters, like the ambitious Lieutenant George Johnston, who was in the British military and was saved by Brendan at some point. My favorite aspect of this book has to be the interesting characters included in the story. With their stories all connected in some way, the author does well to provide a quick backstory of these characters and help the readers see how the events affected them. From Brendan, who was forced to grow from a naive seminarian due to harsh experiences, to Esther, a Jewish prisoner willing to give her body for the safety of herself and her child, the book did not lack in intriguing characters that kept me engaged in the story throughout.

The atrocities committed by the British soldiers in Ireland and Scotland during and after the rebellions are well known to anyone that has studied history. It is sickening what they did and were rarely held accountable. The official review was very good.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

Thanks for the informative review. Brendan Kinneen is a must-read. Historical fictions have got a way of piquing my interest. This read is no different. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

Brendan really passed through a lot. I hope he was able to pull through. Congrats on being the book of the day.
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

great review ,the book seems fiction from the era of wars ,the events was written in a way that it feels real .congrats to #BOTD
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Why will Brendan leave the seminary in search of spiritual enlightenment? I thought that happens there. But I'll find out.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

One of the best part that I find out about novels like these is that how interconnected they are. All the characters with such an intense ongoing story are intertwined with each other which gives the novel so many depth and layers. It's a great book and it teaches about almost every aspect of life.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

I love historical fiction, they seem to describe past experiences,this book sounds like an interesting one and I'll like to give it a try.congrats on botd.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

Historical fiction is fascinating, especially when I don’t know too much about the particular country/time period/event covered. It gives me a chance to learn something new, if the book is accurate. While I’m iffy on the slow pace, the book otherwise sounds entertaining and informative, so it seems right for me. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss

Return to “Historical Fiction”