Official Review: Brendan Kinneen by John Worth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Re: Official Review: Brendan Kinneen by John Worth

Post by Lauren Hanna »

I like how all the characters have a backstory and their stories are all connected in some way. I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction or slow-paced books but may give this a try in the future. I appreciate your thorough review.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The backstories of the interesting mix of characters seem to add more context to this slice of history. Congratulations on Book of the Day!
Creole
Favorite Book: Tales from the Gray Area
Currently Reading: Trapped in Pairadice
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creole.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Creole »

Brendan went through so much. Such are the horrors of war. The story includes some Irish history, a great way to be educated. Thanks for your detailed review.
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading: The Rancher's Widowed Bride
Bookshelf Size: 3515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

I felt like the book started out slow and sometimes too descriptive, which was a bit distracting. However, your review has intrigued my interest in reading the book further. Historical fiction is my preferred reading, and since your review says the book will get more interesting, I’ll keep reading. Ireland interests me as well. My ancestors come from Ireland on one side of my family. Thank you for the great review.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Brendan Kinneen certainly had things rough from losing his closest friend to getting captured by the British soldiers. I'm glad he was able to grow and develop through his challenges. It's not a tale I'm keen on reading, though, but I'm sure historical fiction buffs would have a swell time with it. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I do love historical fiction, and I may give Brendan Kinneen a try. I love how the author spends a good deal of time on each character in the story to really give the reader a good feel for who they are. Thank you for the review.
Ese Senne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ese Senne »

This book show how the British military forces moved in Australia. The love and subordination was the imagination of the author but it was a nice mixture in this book. It did not show the Australian native.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I've heard some things about the history of the oppression that the Irish have gone through and since then I've always been curious about it. I think reading this could be a good start. I also love historical fiction, but I hope this is close to being accurate.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I love good historical fiction book, and I know very little about the Irish rebellion, so I can't wait to read a bit more on this one.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

I would really enjoy reading a good historical fiction with promising characters. Thanks for the great review!
Frankline Orwa
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Frankline Orwa »

General I'm not a history fan but the way the way the author describe the events occuring in the book step by step and ponts explained in detail and mostly focus to Brenda makes it easy for the reader to flow with the author and feels like it's real thing happening
I would really recommend this book to all history loves and at the same time fiction lovers since this is book have combined them both history and fiction
If you are out there and haven't read this book hurry up and get your copy
Jenny Osei-Yeboah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenny Osei-Yeboah »

Brendan keenen shows how certain decisions at certain times may not always be right one as was the case of his joining the seminary and realizing it wasn't his calling. It's handling of the friendship between the two men details how companionship is key to navigate life. Brutality by men in uniform exposes how corruption and abuse of power has trickled down to this generation and how it's negatively impacting lives. It's a must read book that would compare life then and now and how better it can be.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting historical fiction about a young Irishman who leaves the seminary to become a teacher but is brutally beaten by English soldiers that result in his friend's death. He joins the Irish "rebels" to fight against the British. It might be worth a second look. Well done.
Shrashti_04
Favorite Book: Finding James
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Shrashti_04 »

Brendan Kinneen is a historical fiction book, I am not interested in these kinds of the book but it sounds interesting. I could try this book in the future. Thank you for this review.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

This sounds like a very interesting book to review. I like reading stories and books regarding my Irish heritage. I also enjoy books that give different perspectives and follow different characters and how they all relate in some way. Dan Brown is very good at that as well, just read his Century Trilogy novels. It sounds as if the romantic relationships don't get in the way of the story and blend nicely, sometimes books add romance for the sake of adding it and it doesn't always blend with the rest of the story. All in all, this review makes the book seem interesting enough for me to want to read it. Thank you!
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical

Return to “Historical Fiction”